George Calombaris opens up on ‘hard’ toll of empire collapse

·

Former Masterchef host, George Calombaris, has revealed today in an interview with the Herald Sun what emotionally devastated him most about his restaurant collapse, while also vowing “to do good things” following a wage scandal.

“The hard thing was to see how my team suffered,” Calombaris said in the interview, while stressing that the past three years were “very hard.”

“I’m really excited the last of them is now overseas cooking in an amazing place in Singapore. All my head chefs and managers are in great places and doing great things and that makes me really happy.”

READ MORE: Calombaris’ empire crumbles as he places 22 businesses in voluntary administration.

Calombaris’ restaurant empire, MAdE Establishment Group, collapsed in February last year. Photo: Ten.

The former Jimmy Grants and Hellenic Republic chef has been missing from the public eye over the last few months or so, but he says he is excited to re-emerge.

“I’m really excited about this year, I think personally I will never go back to the crazy world that I used to live in,’’ Calombaris told the Herald Sun.

“I really enjoyed my family [wife Natalie and their two children] because I was never really around for them. Being around them for the last nine months, I’ve missed out on a lot.”

Calombaris’ restaurant empire, MAdE Establishment Group, collapsed in February last year. It came after the business was beset by reputational damage following a $7.8 million underpayment scandal.

READ MORE: George Calombaris restaurant empire’s collapse costs taxpayers $1 million.

“If I keep looking backwards I’m going to get a sore neck. So I just look forward and I want to do good things,” he said.

Do this involve a TV return? Colambaris said yes, but it’ll be on his terms.

“After you come off what was one of the most incredible television shows in MasterChef, I’m very grateful I’ve had time to just breathe and time to spend with my family,’’ he said.

“I love television and I will do it again but it’s got to represent who I am and talk about the story. Hopefully I’ll be able to help people through all of my good, bad and ugly.”

READ MORE: George Calombaris sells Toorak mansion to help settle $8.5 million debt.

Source: Herald Sun.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

Aaron Zerefos Enterprises acquires Fresco Beverages 

Aaron Zerefos has announced the acquisition of the Fresco Beverages business, enhancing his hold on the Australian drink distribution market. 

You May Also Like

Xanthi FC make first Aussie purchase acquiring A-League legend

Melbourne City FC midfielder Joshua Brillante has finalised his anticipated move to Xanthi FC, making him the club's first Aussie purchase since the takeover.

The top six Greek sporting moments from 2023

2023 has been a year of victory and accomplishment for Greek athletes. From Australian Open records to National football drafts.

Greece to offer free holidays to fire-affected tourists on Rhodes

Greece's Prime Minister said the Greek government would provide one week of free holidays on Rhodes to those affected by wildfires.