Dimitri Valkanis named on Subway Young Socceroos squad for South American tour

·

Subway Young Socceroos’ Head Coach, Trevor Morgan has selected a 23-man squad for a tour of South America – taking in fixtures against Uruguay and Chile – during the June FIFA Men’s International Window.

The tour represents the beginning of a busy period of activity for some of the most promising talent from Australia’s U-20 cohort, featuring players from domestic leagues across the world, as well as the Isuzu UTE A-League Men.

Miguel Di Pizio (Central Coast Mariners FC) will arrive in camp off the back of whirlwind few months in club football, which was capped off by an A-League Championship win over the weekend, in which the AC United FC (Football NSW) junior became the youngest goal scorer in men’s National League Grand Final history.

Alexander Badolato (Western Sydney Wanderers FC), Daniel Bennie (Perth Glory FC), Luka Jovanovic (Adelaide United FC) and Thomas Waddingham (Brisbane Roar FC) have been rewarded with selection following strong performances in the Isuzu UTE A-League Men this season.

Max Caputo has also been named from the Isuzu UTE A-League Men, after receiving Melbourne City FC’s Rising Star Award at the conclusion of the 2023/24 season.

Sebastian Esposito (US Lecce) will join his first national team camp since his recent move to Italy, while Louis Agosti (AC Perugia Calcio), Paul Okon-Engstler (S.L Benfica), Anthony Pavlesic (FC Bayern Munich) and Dimitri Valkanis (AEK Athens) have been selected.

The Subway Young Socceroos will assemble in Montevideo to begin preparations for their first fixture with Uruguay on June 5, before relocating to Santiago for back-to-back matches against Chile on June 8 and 11.

Subway Young Socceroos’ Head Coach, Trevor Morgan said the tour would play an important role in the development of his squad.

“As part of our strategy, following on from matches against European opponents late last year, we’re exposing the boys to completely different opposition, playing styles and conditions, some of which they’ll have never experienced before,” Morgan said.

“These types of opportunities are so valuable for the broader education and development of young players, which we’ll reap the benefits of in years to come.

“I’m really excited about the quality we’ve got right across both this squad and the entire age group, selecting only 23 players was difficult, but I feel we’ve got a great balance in this squad as we look at what’s ahead in 2024.”

The Subway Young Socceroos are set to compete in the AFF U-19 Youth Championship to be hosted in Indonesia during July, along with activity scheduled for the September FIFA Men’s International Window before the AFC U-20 Asian Cup 2025™ Qualifiers later that same month.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Walk through the proika project in an intimate viewing experience

the proika project launched their captivating multimedia exhibition blending fashion, photography and conversations on November 20.

Jon Adgemis’ pub buyback plan collapses after missed $6.7m payment

Bankrupt dealmaker Jon Adgemis has lost his bid to regain five Sydney pubs after missing a $6.7 million payment to administrators.

Further festivals and events funding available to multicultural communities

Further funding is available for festivals that celebrate NSW through the Government’s Stronger Together Festival and Event Grants Program.