Home Blog Page 1401

Greece cracks down on soccer hooligans after Thessaloniki murder

0

Greece has suspended the operation of hundreds of soccer fan clubs in a bid to combat hooligans using them as cover, Ekathimerini reports.

The ban will apply until the end of July and was triggered by the murder of a 19-year-old who was stabbed and beaten to death by soccer hooligans in the northern city of Thessaloniki.

The February 1 murder of Thessaloniki resident, Alkis Kambanos, shocked the city and soccer fans nationwide.

READ MORE: Suspect arrested in Thessaloniki murder case as tributes flow for 19-year-old victim.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 151-top-stories-of-2021-2022-02-03T063127.116-696x392-1.png
Tributes flow for Alkis at an Aris FC game. Photo: InTime News.

Greece’s Justice Minister, Kostas Tsiaras, Civil Protection Minister, Takis Theodorikakos, Deputy Minister of Sports, Lefteris Avgenakis, and government spokesperson, Yiannis Economou, introduced the stricter legal framework for dealing with violence related to sports on Monday.

Theodorikakos said the new measures would include tougher jail terms and sentencing guidelines for organised sport-related violence.

Supporters clubs would be allowed to reopen only after July 31, following an extensive review of the operation rules and the introduction of a new operating framework.

READ MORE: Weapon used in Thessaloniki knife attack that killed 19-year-old student found.

The four ministers deliver the news about the ban.

“Hooliganism is a global scourge that is responsible for the death of dozens of people,” Theodorikakos said. “It is time that we killed the Lernaean Hydra of violence and hooliganism.”

The new measures will require parliamentary approval but are likely to receive broad political support beyond the government’s comfortable majority.

Greek authorities have already raided 575 fan clubs across Greece. They also issued a permanent ban on 67 clubs and made 17 arrests.

Source: AP News.

Greece resumes ‘difficult’ search on burning ferry as ten people still missing

0

Greek firefighters and coastguards have resumed the search for 10 people still missing from last week’s ferry fire that killed a truck driver.

The fire on the Italian-flagged, Euroferry Olympia, is burning for a fourth day.

“It is a very difficult operation,” a fire department spokeswoman told the AFP news agency on Monday.

READ MORE: Greece reports first fatality after blaze on ferry, 10 still missing.

Smoke rises from the Italian-flagged Euroferry Olympia. Photo: AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris.

More than 40 firefighters and two helicopters are currently taking part in the search and rescue operation with tugboats, and coastguard vessels are on standby nearby.

A total of 281 people have already been rescued. They included two men who were airlifted by rescuers off the ferry and a third man who managed to free himself and reach the deck of the vessel after being trapped for more than two days.

The body of a 58-year-old Greek truck driver was recovered on Sunday, the first confirmed death in the accident.

Firefighters carry a body from the Italian-flagged Euroferry Olympia. Photo: Hellenic Fire Service via AP.

Ten other truck drivers – seven Bulgarians, two Greeks and one Turk – remain unaccounted for.

Relatives of the missing passengers are waiting for news outside the port authority on the Greek island of Corfu.

The last fire on board a ship in the Adriatic occurred in December 2014 on the Italian ferry, Norman Atlantic, in which 13 people died.

Source: AlJazeera.

‘It’s an honour’: Greeks triumph in the Canterbury Bankstown Local Business Awards

Greek-owned businesses and individuals have triumphed in the Canterbury Bankstown Local Business Awards for this year.

In the ‘Outstanding Cafe’ category, Stephenie Tsiotas from Joy Meets Morgan came out on top of other finalists including Stretto Espresso Bar in Earlwood and Cafe Noble in Campsie.

Stephenie tells The Greek Herald she is “so pleased to have won the most outstanding cafe in the area.”

“Like most people, the last two years have been awfully difficult and this award is definitely an appreciation to all our staff who have worked extremely hard to build a name for ourselves in the area,” she says.

Elsewhere, John Kassiou won ‘Youth of the Year’ in the ‘Education Service’ category. John is currently Centre Manager at First Education in Earlwood and he tells The Greek Herald “it’s an honour and privilege to have won.”

John Kassiou with his award.

“I am earnestly grateful for the recognition of this award, but it would not have been possible if it was not for the support and inspiration of my director Harry Mavrolefteros and the exceptional team of tutors that I have the pleasure to work with,” John says.

The iconic Aurea Designs in Earlwood also won in the ‘Outstanding Jewellery Store’ category for their exceptional customer service, as well as their handmade jewellery such as engagement and wedding rings.

Danny Georgakopoulos and Jim Soulemezis from Aurea Designs say they are “excited, honoured and overwhelmed to win the award.”

“We are grateful to our amazing and loyal customers and none of it would have been possible without their support,” Danny says to The Greek Herald.

“We pride ourselves on our quality, range of products and above all our customer service, and to be recognised makes all the effort and hard work worth it.”

To top it all off, Trianon Cakes Shop in Earlwood was crowned the winner of the ‘Outstanding Bakery / Cake Business’ category, whilst Meni and Pam from Diversity Kids won the category for Most Outstanding Education Service, and Gramelis Attorneys won in the ‘Outstanding Legal Services’ category.

The Canterbury Bankstown Local Business Awards, which are hosted by Precedent Productions, acknowledge the drive and dedication required to succeed in business and recognises the best in local industry across over 25 categories.

*Please note: If you are a Greek-owned business who won in the Awards, please send us an email to info@foreignlanguage.com.au

Meni and Pam from Diversity Kids.

Anthony Locascio explores his Greek and Italian heritage with new ‘Don’t Call Me A Wog’ tour

Growing up in Australia, Anthony Locascio found himself confined to a prison of ethnic and cultural stereotypes.

‘Don’t Call Me A Wog!’ (An E̶t̶h̶n̶i̶c̶ Comedy Story) is his story of escape, his convoluted encounters with the Greek and Italian heritage that so greatly affected him, and his conflicting relationship with traditional ‘wog comedy.’

Beginning at Adelaide Fringe Festival in March, Anthony will be performing six shows, before heading back down the Western Highway to complete a run of ten shows at Melbourne International Comedy Festival, appearing April 10th to April 24th.

Wrapping up his inaugural run of shows, Anthony will perform at Perth Comedy Festival and Sydney Comedy Festival throughout May.

A show for all Australians, regardless of heritage or background, ‘Don’t Call Me A Wog!’ pushes Anthony’s performances further than ever before, incorporating audio-visual, music and lighting components to create an intelligent, dark and vulnerable cultural production.

“My relationship with my Greek/Italian background has been a 29 year, on again, off again love story. Growing up in a country as ethnically charged as Australia, I have, at various points in my life, felt both immense pride and shame for the cultures of my grandparents,” Anthony said.

“This show is the story of that emotional roller coaster; my relationship with my background throughout my childhood and adolescence has been mirrored by my use of it for comedy material.

“‘Don’t Call Me A Wog!’ is a show for everyone, and a perspective on ethnicity in Australia that hasn’t been heard before, certainly not in a stand-up comedy format. This is also the first time I’m doing an Australian tour, so I hope plenty of people come out to see it!”

Who is Anthony Locascio?

Anthony Locascio is one of Australian comedy’s rising stars. Blending sharp wit with musings on his ethnic background, Anthony has become known for his unique storytelling style.

He is a two time NSW Raw Comedy State Finalist (2018/2019), and has had two sold out runs at the Sydney Comedy Festival, as well as a sold out run at the Perth Comedy Festival in 2021. Anthony was also selected to perform at the Sydney Comedy Festival Gala 2021 at the Enmore Theatre.

Anthony forged his path in stand-up by writing an hour show after a year of performing, hiring a theatre and inviting 400 friends and acquaintances to watch.

The show was posted to social media, giving Anthony a loyal fanbase, selling out shows each year since 2017 and boosting Anthony’s Youtube channel to 12,000+ subscribers, and 1,000,000+ views, with hundreds of comments from angry people in Italy and Greece responding to a video in which Anthony calls them lazy.

He appears weekly at Sydney’s best comedy venues, and has performed with some of the best comedians Australia has to offer; including Dave Hughes, Nikki Britton, Tahir, Anthony Salame, Luke Heggie and many more.

Stavros Bakopanos is one to watch in FootballSA’s National Premier League 2022

FootballSA’s National Premier League season kicked off on Friday night and to mark the day, The Advertiser listed its players to watch for 2022.

Among the list was Aladin Irabona from Adelaide City and Allan Welsh from the Adelaide Comets, as well as Greek Australian soccer star, Stavros Bakopanos, from Cumberland United.

Who is Stavros Bakopanos?

An aggressive midfielder and defender, Bakopanos will be a highly important player for the Foxes in 2022.

Bakopanos.

While his aggressive style of play can at times lead to yellow or red cards, the club favourite’s flair can equally galvanise his team.

If Bakopanos can string consistent performances together, Cumberland will be a strong test for any opposition.

This upcoming season will be a real test for Cumberland, who’ve proved more than capable of performing at the highest level.

Source: The Advertiser.

Maria Dimopoulos AM appointed new Board Chair of Safe and Equal

Maria Dimopoulos AM has been appointed the new Board Chair of Safe and Equal and will commence her role in February 2022.

Maria is taking over from Stacey Ong, who has led Safe and Equal’s Board as Interim Chair since September 2021. 

Maria said she looks forward to supporting the great work of Safe and Equal, “in particular the partnerships with First Nations communities and organisations.”

READ MORE: Maria Dimopoulos resigns as Deputy Chairperson of the Victorian Multicultural Commission.

“I am committed to governing Safe and Equal with an intersectional feminist lens as a way to expose uneven power relations and structural oppressions, in order to support gender equality and social justice,” Maria said in a press release.

Maria has made significant contributions to policy development, research and community education, including as a member of the federal Access and Equity Inquiry Panel, and as the inaugural Chairperson of the Harmony Alliance – Australia’s national coalition of migrant and refugee women.

READ MORE: New media diversity directory features Greek and Cypriot experts.

Maria Dimopoulos.

Maria was also part of the National Council to Reduce Violence Against Women and their Children, which oversaw the development of the First National Plan to End Violence against Women and their Children. 

The CEO of Safe and Equal, Tania Farha, has welcomed Maria’s appointment.

“Maria is a lauded human rights advocate and champion of diversity and gender equality,” Tania said.

“Her extensive experience and expertise, particularly around the rights and meaningful inclusion of women from migrant and refugee backgrounds in policy and system reform, aligns strongly with our strategic goals and purpose.”

READ MORE: Greek-Australians celebrated on Australia Day Honours List 2020.

Supreme Court backs Theo Maras’ $27 million Adelaide apartment tower

The Supreme Court has dismissed an appeal by a high-profile neighbour to stop the construction of Theo Maras’ $27 million apartment tower on the corner of Hutt Street and Bartels Road in Adelaide.

According to The Advertiser, food industry identity, Ray Khabbaz, had sought a judicial review against the January 2020 approval of the 16-storey building.

Supreme Court backs Theo Maras.

Khabbaz, who lives next to the planned project, argued the building approval was invalid or unlawful, in part because the 53.9m design was more than double the recommended 22m maximum height for the site.

READ MORE: Theo Maras: ‘Who you are is measured by what you will leave behind’.

In June 2019, SA Planning Minister, Stephan Knoll, made interim changes to the Adelaide City Council development plan which allowed “over-height” buildings in circumstances projects met benchmarks such as excellent design and sustainability measures.

Theo Maras.

In his ruling, Justice Greg Parker refused to quash the approval, dismissing all Mr Khabbaz’s grounds of appeal.

READ MORE: Property developer, Theo Maras, switches support to SA Labor party.

Mr Maras is now able to proceed with the building of this project, which he once described as his “long-term legacy.”

The apartment tower is a partnership with developer James Arsenikakis.

Source: The Advertiser.

Ian Markos named lead SA-BEST Upper House candidate

Prominent South Australian businessman, Ian Markos, has been named the lead SA-BEST candidate at the state election, The Advertiser reports.

Mr Markos, who is the former chief executive of the Master Builders Association SA, will be joined on the ticket by psychotherapist and former asylum seeker, Dr Keyvan Abak.

If successful, Mr Markos would join current MLCs Connie Bonaros and Frank Pangallo in the Upper House and give SA-Best “the balance of power in the Legislative Council.”

Ian Markos.

“I want to help SA-BEST provide South Australians with a powerful third voice in parliament to ensure we have practical, common-sense solutions to the critical issues impacting our state,” Mr Markos said.

Members of the 22-seat Upper House are elected for eight-year terms, with half of the seats declared vacant at each election.

Ms Bonaros and Mr Pangallo are both at the midway point of their stints.

Source: The Advertiser.

Victoria’s Deputy Opposition Leader given South Melbourne FC Original Heritage Jumper

South Melbourne FC scored an emphatic win on Thursday against Heidelberg United FC before a large crowd. There to watch the game and witness this classic derby was Deputy Opposition Leader, Richard Marles.

Richard Marles was presented at the game with the Original Heritage Jumper signed by current players to thank him for his attendance. 

“The atmosphere was electric. I have certainly become a fan of South Melbourne FC, a team that truly reflects the multicultural fabric of our country,” Mr Marles said after the match.

“I aim to be at as many games as possible as football is a sport that I follow and enjoy, and Lakeside Stadium truly is a great place to watch this game and particularly South Melbourne FC. Their supporters get right behind their team.”

The President of South Melbourne FC, Nick Maikousis, expressed his appreciation to Mr Marles for attending.

“It was great for Richard to be at the historic derby which was the season opener. A great time to have Richard with us,” Mr Maikousis said.

Club Chairman, Bill Papastergiadis, also acknowledged the effort made by Mr Marles to be at the game.

“Richard was in Parliament in Canberra until late that afternoon and took the earliest possible flight to Melbourne to be with us. Richard went out of his way to be at the game and his efforts reflect his commitment to our community and to football,” Mr Papastergiadis said.

“He is generous with his time and shows a genuine interest in making a difference. We hope to work with Richard as part of South’s journey to the new National Second Division. They are exciting times and its great that we have key parliamentarian leaders with us during this journey.”

Head of Senior Football, Andrew Mesourouni, noted that the quality of football on the pitch was a great example of the high level of football shown by both teams. 

“It was a riveting game and everyone who attended would have been impressed with the quality of the football that was played,” Mr Mesourouni said.

Joanne Shanahan’s husband forgives young driver responsible for her death

The husband of decorated police officer, Joanne Shanahan (nee Panayiotou), has opened up about how he has been able to forgive the young driver who took her life.

Joanne, 55, and mother Tania McNeill, 53, were killed instantly in April 2021 when Harrison Kitt drove through the intersection of Cross Road and Fullarton Road at Urrbrae, south of Adelaide at 167km/h and struck their cars.

Kitt, 21, was found not guilty by reason of mental incompetence. He was sentence to a 10-year limiting term, monitored by both mental health experts and the Parole Board, while living with his parents.

READ MORE: Harrison Kitt to spend 10 years under supervision for crash that killed Joanne Shanahan.

(L) Harrison Kitt. (R) Joanne Shanahan.

After the verdict had been handed down last year, Kitt’s mother Kathy said not a day had passed since the “terrible crash” that her family had not thought about the impact on the victims’ families.

“Their losses are unimaginable; we hope they can find it in their hearts to forgive Harry for what happened even though it might be difficult for them to accept,” Kathy said at the time.

READ MORE: ‘Slap in the face’: Family share grief over Joanna Shanahan’s death.

In a recent interview with 7 News on Sunday night, Joanne’s husband, Peter Shanahan, said he does forgive the young driver for his actions.

“To forgive someone allows yourself to be as good as you can be and to move on and to make the best of your life, which is exactly what Joanne would have wanted,” Peter, who was also in the car crash but survived with minor injuries, said.

“Jo is still alive in my heart and she will be forever and with my kids. So that’s how I’m going to live my life now.”

READ MORE: Adelaide’s Greek community mourns death of Greek-Australian police officer.

Source: 7 News.