Homeless refugees reject new camp on Lesvos, call for resettlement

·

Greek authorities are struggling to persuade refugees displaced by the Moria refugee camp fire to move to a new temporary site, as many people continue to sleep on the streets of Lesvos island.

Just over 6% of the 12,500 people left homeless last week by the fire have been rehoused in the temporary facility, authorities said on Monday.

Refugees and migrants displaced by the Moria camp fire find shelter in makeshift accommodation. Photo: Alkis Konstantinidis/Reuters.

Migration Minister, Notis Mitarachi, said there’s space for about 5,000 people so far in the new camp, on a former military firing range at Kara Tepe near Mytilene.

Officials said the gap between available spaces and residents in the new camp is largely due to the unwillingness of many refugees to settle in.

Many had hoped that with Moria destroyed they would be allowed to head for the Greek mainland, or even other European Union countries.

Migrants shout slogans during a protest near Mytilene town, on the northeastern island of Lesbos, Greece, Monday, Sept. 14, 2020. Photo: AP Photo/Petros Giannakouris.

Several hundred women and children held a protest march along the Moria-to-Mytilene road on Monday, chanting: “No camp, freedom.”

These latest protests in Lesvos come as Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, said he hoped plans to build a new reception centre to replace Moria would be an opportunity to reset policy on handling migrant arrivals.

READ MORE: Greece to build permanent migrant centre on Lesvos to replace Moria.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Special committee on misconduct formed as Holy Eparchial Synod continues in Sydney

The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia has announced the formation of a Special Committee to address moral misconduct.

Pirates release 8 kidnapped crew members from a Greek-flagged tanker

Eight crew members of a Greek-flagged tanker ship have been freed more than 20 days after being kidnapped by gunmen off the coast of Cameroon in West Africa, Greece’s merchant marine ministry said Wednesday.

Turkey issues third NAVTEX for illegal survey activities in East Med

Turkey has issued a new navigational telex (NAVTEX) for the continuation of survey activities of its Oruc Reis vessel until September 12.