PAOK and Xanthi threatened with relegation from Super League for breaking ownership rules

·

The Committee of Professional Sport has recommended for both PAOK and Xanthi to be relegated from the Super League, with the two clubs having been found guilty of co-ownership.

PAOK owner Ivan Savvidis had been accused of also owning Xanthi, with the matter subsequently being assessed by the Committee of Professional Sport. Xanthi had also allegedly illegally transferred their shares in the spring of 2019.

On Monday evening, it was confirmed that a majority of 4-1 has found PAOK and Xanthi guilty of co-ownership.

A majority of 3-2 has also recommended that PAOK and Xanthi are relegated from the Super League.

Now, the issue will be handed over to the Disciplinary Sports Committee, who will then decide whether to approve the initial recommendation of relegation which has been made. It must also be taken into account that the two organisations can later submit an official appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

The ONE Channel, owned by Olympiacos supremo Evangelos Marinakis, had originally broadcasted findings which supposedly proved that Savvidis owns both PAOK and Xanthi. 

Further developments are expected in the coming days. 

At the moment, reigning Greek champions PAOK are in first place of the Super League after defeating Volos NFC earlier today while Xanthi occupy seventh position.

Sourced via Agona Sport.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Art exhibition at Sydney’s ANZAC Memorial to honour veterans’ service in Greece and Crete

Lustre is a powerful collection of art works and short films exploring the Allied campaigns in Greece and Crete during the Second World War.

Andrea Michaels appointed Associate Justice of South Australia’s Supreme Court

Cypriot Australian Andrea Michaels has been appointed Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of South Australia.

Peter Antoniou named on Young Socceroos Squad for 2026 Asean U19 Boys Championship

CommBank Young Socceroos Head Coach Trevor Morgan has selected a 23-player squad for the 2026 ASEAN U-19 Boys’ Championship.

St George Youth League team makes a statement

The St George Youth League Men’s team delivered one of their most impressive performances of the season on Saturday afternoon.

Heidelberg United vows to fight AFC Champions League 2 exclusion in formal appeal

Heidelberg United FC has confirmed it will launch a formal legal appeal after being denied entry into the 2026-27 AFC Champions League Two.

You May Also Like

Aged care CEO, Chris Mamarelis, says impact of COVID-19 on sector still a threat

The Chief Executive Officer of Whiddon Aged Care, Chris Mamarelis, says the impact of COVID-19 on sector is still a threat.

Kytherian Association of Canberra gears up for annual Christmas celebration

The Kytherian Association of Canberra and Districts is preparing to host its annual Christmas Party on Saturday, December 6.

Nia Vardalos’ adaptation of ‘Tiny Beautiful Things’ comes to Queensland

Queensland Theatre will bring Nia Vardalos’ (My Big Fat Greek Wedding) hit adaptation of Cheryl Strayed’s "Tiny Beautiful Things."