Associate Law Professor and LGBTIQ+ member, Lisa Sarmas, on social justice and inclusivity

·

“I think the real barrier for people entering areas like law is less on the basis of sexuality and gender and probably more on social class, although all forms of structural disadvantage of course are interconnected and play a role,” Lisa Koralia Sarmas says as we sit down for our exclusive chat.

“I come from a very proud working class Greek family, but a lot of people working in law come from very privileged backgrounds. That, I think, is what needs to change.”

It’s clear from the very beginning that the Associate Professor of Law at Melbourne Law School feels a great responsibility to call for social justice and inclusivity in Australian society.

Whilst many would say this commitment comes from Lisa’s proud identification with the LGBTIQ+ community, that’s not entirely the case. In fact, Lisa was attracted to the idea of fighting for equality from a very young age, when she used to watch old crime dramas on television and imagined herself as a lawyer.

Lisa knew she wanted to be a lawyer from a very young age. Photos supplied.

“Probably like a lot of young kids watching movies with court scenes, I had quite a romantic view of what the law was like. But it was watching those movies and a real commitment to justice that got me interested in law,” Lisa tells The Greek Herald.

From there, Lisa went on to study a Bachelor of Arts at Melbourne University in 1983, before changing to a combined Arts/Law degree two years later and completing her practical legal training. All of this, Lisa stresses, couldn’t have been done without the incredible support of her parents.

“My parents have always been the most supportive people I’ve ever known of everything that I’ve wanted to do and without their support, I probably wouldn’t be able to do any of this. As far as law was concerned, they provided the perfect learning environment for me at home and supported me every step of the way,” Lisa says.

Lisa as a graduate and law student. Photos supplied.

‘Social justice is at the forefront of what I do’:

It’s with this support and love which ultimately saw Lisa ‘stumble into academics’ at Melbourne Law School in 1991.

“A friend of mine, who was working at the same law firm as me, got a job at Monash University as an academic and I thought, ‘that sounds really interesting.’ It allowed that opportunity for deep thought in the law and I found that attractive. So I approached Melbourne Law School… and I was employed there,” Lisa says.

Since then, Lisa has never looked back and she says the school always accepted her as a female academic and LGBTIQ+ member, who has been in a relationship with her partner, Adele, since 1996.

Lisa is a proud member of the LGBITQ+ community. Photo supplied.

“The Law School itself has been an incredibly inclusive and welcoming place and I found it quite a comfortable place to be an academic there,” Lisa says.

Of course, I had to ask – Can the same be said for the Greek Australian community?

“I think there’s homophobia in all communities and I don’t think there’s any more so in the Greek community. Certainly, the Greek community that I know has welcomed me with open arms and an open heart,” Lisa says passionately.

Lisa says the Greek Australian community has always been supportive of her. Photos supplied.

It’s this clear acceptance which has driven Lisa to fight harder for equality and the inclusivity of those people who don’t have the same privileges as her. Although Lisa knows there’s no easy way to achieve this, she says she’s more determined than ever to make substantial change.

“I feel I have a great responsibility… when I write things and when I deal with students to [make sure] that social justice is at the forefront of both those words and those actions that I take. That is the key really – that we’ve got to be aiming for inclusion on the basis of gender, sexuality and class as well,” Lisa explains.

Powerful words from a trailblazing female law academic who is determined to make waves in the field of social justice and equality.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Fresco of Helen of Troy uncovered at Pompeii

Nearly 2,000 years since it was buried by volcanic rubble, the lost city of Pompeii is yielding even more impressive discoveries. According to msn.com, archeologists...

New casual Greek restaurant brings meze and cocktails to Adelaide’s CBD

Andrew Papadakis, the visionary who founded and successfully sold Meze Mazi, returns to the vibrant Adelaide restaurant scene with his newest venture, Dino’s. According to...

Two Greek women included in ’30 Under 30′ Forbes list

In this year's European Forbes "30 Under 30" list, two exceptional Greek women have managed to stand out for their successful paths in two...

2,300-year-old tomb unearthed in Greece

A tomb in the ancient Macedonian city of Aegae in modern Vergina, Greece, has been unearthed according to an All That’s Interesting report. The tomb is believed...

Yorgos Lanthimos’ new movie ‘Kinds of Kindness’ included in Cannes lineup

New films from Yorgos Lanthimos, Andrea Arnold and Francis Ford Coppola, as well as a portrait of 1980s Donald Trump, will compete for the...

You May Also Like

Blessing of the Waters events across NSW and Victoria cancelled due to COVID-19

All services for the Blessing of the Waters in New South Wales and Victoria have been cancelled for next year, according to a statement...

The Hellenic Initiative and HOPEgenesis tackle Greece’s population issue

HOPEgenesis is a Greek non-profit organisation active in the field of medicine and social welfare that addresses the major issue of Greece’s low birth...

Thanasi Kokkinakis grateful for help from former tennis legend Mark Philippoussis

Thanasi Kokkinakis has spent this year rebuilding his fitness and form following a severe bout of glandular fever. The 24-year-old has been training in Melbourne...