Nick Kyrgios’ lawyers granted more time to address alleged assault case

·

The ACT magistrates court has granted lawyers for tennis star, Nick Kyrgios, a six-week adjournment to address a charge of alleged assault, ABC News has reported.

Kyrgios’ lawyer, Michael Kukulies-Smith, asked the case’s magistrate, Louise Taylor, today to adjourn the case to November 25 – a time to accommodate Kyrgios, who was not often in Canberra.

Mr Kukulies-Smith also said he would make an application on that date.

“It’s an application… which is one which is capable of resolving the matter,” the lawyer said without going into much detail.

But Magistrate Taylor said she was reluctant to grant the date, and that she was not certain of why there was the secrecy.

Kyrgios had been summonsed to face a charge of assaulting his former girlfriend (pictured, left).

She also told the court in the ordinary course of events she would be asking Mr Kukulies-Smith to indicate pleas of guilty or not guilty for his client.

Magistrate Taylor granted a six-week adjournment, with the case set to be back on October 4.

The Australian Capital Territory police confirmed in July that Kyrgios had been summonsed to face a charge of assaulting his former girlfriend. It relates to an incident in Canberra last December.

Kyrgios is currently in New York, preparing for the US Open, and did not appear in court today for the first mention of the case. 

Source: ABC News.

READ MORE: ‘It was really hard’: Nick Kyrgios on struggle to overcome Wimbledon defeat.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Father Antonios convicted on multiple abuse charges in Ark of the World case

Father Antonios has been sentenced to 9.5 years’ imprisonment, commuted to a fine exceeding €60,000, after Greece’s court found him guilty.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released as Epstein-linked probe continues

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation after being arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

You May Also Like

St George Greek Orthodox Church at Rose Bay to be heritage listed

A proposal to list the St George Greek Orthodox Church and war memorial as local heritage item has been approved. Read more.

Pope Leo XIV enthroned in grand ceremony as global leaders look on

Pope Leo XIV was formally enthroned as the head of the Roman Catholic Church in a grand ceremony at St Peter’s Basilica on Sunday, May 18.

55-year-old grandmother on Crete gives birth as surrogate for daughter

In Heraklion, Crete, a 55-year-old grandmother acted as a surrogate mother for her daughter, giving birth to a healthy baby boy.