HomeSportsAustralia'It was really hard': Nick Kyrgios on struggle to overcome Wimbledon defeat

‘It was really hard’: Nick Kyrgios on struggle to overcome Wimbledon defeat

Author

Date

Category

Nick Kyrgios has opened up about the difficulty of bouncing back from his Wimbledon final loss to Novak Djokovic last month.

The 27-year-old tennis star said it took him “a while to get over that loss” because from a young age he’d always been told to aim for the “highest accolade” that the sport has to offer, which was to win a Wimbledon final.

“And I was so close I almost tasted it. So it was really hard for me to stomach that loss but I feel like I’ve done everything I can to bounce back,” Kyrgios said.

Kyrgios was devastated by his Wimbledon loss. Photo: John Walton / PA via AP.

“I’ve been training hard, my body’s feeling good and I’m serving great, so we’ll see how it goes.”

Kyrgios bounced back to win his second men’s double final alongside Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis, with the pair taking out the final of the Atlanta Open on Sunday.

He also continued his winning ways on Wednesday at the Citi Open as he beat American Marcos Giron.

In some disappointing news for fans though, Kyrgios revealed on Instagram late on Wednesday that he would skip the Laver Cup this year to spend more time with family.

“No Laver Cup for me this year!!!” Kyrgios posted on Instagram. “Just letting you all know. Gotta have that home with my family and beautiful girlfriend.”

The 2022 edition of the Laver Cup will be held in London from September 23-25. Kyrgios has played in all four previous editions of the competition.

Recent posts