NSW records 98 cases, Victoria’s Premier confirms lockdown won’t end tomorrow night

·

NSW recorded 98 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm last night.

This afternoon, NSW Health also reported the death of a woman in her 50s who was a confirmed COVID-19 case. She was a resident of south western Sydney and a close contact of a COVID case.

Of the locally acquired cases, 61 are linked to a known case or cluster – 43 are household contacts and 18 are close contacts – and the source of infection for 37 cases is under investigation.

Fifty-four cases were in isolation throughout their infectious period and 17 cases were in isolation for part of their infectious period. Twenty cases were infectious in the community, and the isolation status of seven cases remains under investigation.

NSW Premier, Gladys Berejiklian, said at a press conference this morning that the state won’t see the effects of a harsh lockdown for ‘another four or five days.’

This comes as Victoria’s Premier, Daniel Andrews, confirmed this morning that the state’s current lockdown won’t end at 11.59pm tomorrow night.

“I know this is not the news people want to hear,” he said.

However, Mr Andrews said the state has dodged “weeks and weeks” of lockdown by issuing stay-at-home orders late last week and not a moment longer.

Daniel Andrews.

“We have made great progress and we have avoided 1000s of cases. Knowing what we know now, lockdown was the right course, that was the right call at the right time.”

The Premier says the lockdown extension will be determined by tests which are currently in the lab and he hopes to give an update tomorrow.

Victoria recorded 13 new cases of COVID-19 today, all of which are connected to current outbreaks.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Australia gifts Greek PM commemorative coin marking 85 years since Battle of Crete

Australia has presented Greece with a commemorative coin marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Greece and Crete.

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

You May Also Like

Mitsotakis on seven months of achievements: What we promise, happens

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis uploaded a video on Twitter showing the campaign promises his government fulfilled the last seven months. https://twitter.com/kmitsotakis/status/1227249285361815552 They include the...

29th Greek Film Festival of Sydney to boast Australian premiere of ‘Murderess’

The 29th Greek Film Festival of Sydney will feature the Australian premiere of the award-winning feature film Murderess.

Maria Karra: “Emfasis Foundation was always there and did not overtake anyone”

"Emfasis" started operating 8 years ago, when Maria Karra, who lived abroad, received unpleasant messages about the situation that prevailed in Greece.