George Kambosos Jr blasts ‘fake’ champ and vows to bring home world title

·

George Kambosos Jnr said he would punish Teofimo Lopez for his “fakeness” and take a step towards a hall-of-fame boxing career by taking the title from the undisputed world champion next month, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Kambosos will take on WBA, IBF and WBO champion Lopez at Madison Square Garden in New York on October 5.

READ MORE: George Kambosos Jr and Teofimo Lopez confirm they will go head-to-head on June 5.

The bout was postponed several times. Lopez pulled out of the scheduled June 19 clash after contracting COVID-19 and baulked at an August 14 replacement date after suffering virus symptoms.

Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos jnr face off during a press conference in April. Photo: Getty.

The setbacks have only steeled Kambosos, who will miss the birth of his third child in his bid to become Australia’s only current world champion.

“I’m going to beat this guy by any means necessary,” Kambosos told the newspaper.

READ MORE: George Kambosos Jr eyeing ‘biggest fight in Australian history’ after huge sacrifice.

“It’s been a long time coming, and I don’t see any way he can beat me. They talk about certain aspects of his game, but my game is better all around.

Kambosos Jnr.

“I don’t think he deserves to be a champion. He takes it for granted. He laps it up too much, wants to show off too much. He’s not a true champ and the fans see that; a lot of fans see his fakeness.

“He needs a big wake-up call, he needs to be humbled, and I’m coming to do that.”

READ MORE: TGH Exclusive: George “Ferocious” Kambosos Jr – The unbeaten Greek Australian fighter who dreams of being world champion!.

The undefeated 28-year-old (19 victories, 10 knockouts) will go into the bout as a $6 outsider but is adamant he will return to Australia with the belts.

“I want to show Australian boxing to the world, the fighters we have here, in George Kambosos Jnr.”

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece raises concerns over Turkey’s ‘Blue Homeland’ maritime law move

Greece has raised concerns over a planned Turkish law that would incorporate the “Blue Homeland” doctrine and disputed “gray zone.”

Mitsotakis pushes for third term as New Democracy congress closes

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has called for a third consecutive election victory for New Democracy.

Akylas disappointed after Greece places 10th at Eurovision final

Greek Eurovision entrant Akylas expressed disappointment after Greece finished 10th at the 70th Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna.

Greece to loan ancient Olympia treasures to Australia for Brisbane Olympics 2032

Greece will send more than 100 ancient Olympia artefacts to Australia for a major exhibition during the Brisbane 2032 Olympic Games.

Chasing an Aussie childhood memory all the way to a Suzi Quatro concert in Poland

I've been living in Greece for a long time now and being so far away from Australia, the country I was born and grew up in, sometimes gets to me.

You May Also Like

Sydney doctor Triantopoulos charged with accessing child abuse material online

Doctor Thrasivoulos Triantopoulos from Sydney’s south-west has been charged with watching and downloading child abuse videos on the internet.

Mark Nicolaou vows to visit asbestos-riddled WA town even after closure

The Western Australian Government has been acquiring the final 14 properties at the asbestos-riddled town of Wittenoom.

Australian government opens submissions for multicultural framework review

Andrew Giles MP has announced submissions for the Government’s Multicultural Framework Review are now open. Read More.