Australian Government unveils $130 billion support package

·

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has pledged $130 billion over the next six months to help Australians who have found themselves out of work.

Mr Morrison said the $130 billion was to “support the jobs and livelihoods of the almost six million Australians who will need that lifeline in the months ahead”.

As part of the $130 billion support package, the government is introducing a $1,500 “Job Keeper” payment.

$1,500 “Job Keeper” Payment

The payment will provide businesses with $1,500 a fortnight, per employee, for the next six months. Businesses applying for the Job Keeper payment will need to prove their turnover has dropped at least 30 per cent.

“We’re all in this together, that’s what’s fair, that’s what’s Australian,” Mr Morrison said.

Mr Morrison said the Job Keeper payment was “to keep Australians in their jobs even when the work dries up”.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced a new $130 billion package to help employees. Picture: Mick Tsikas/AAPSource:AAP

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said the payments would be available for full-time workers, part-time workers, sole traders and casuals who have been with their employer for 12 months or more. The payment will be a flat rate of $1,500, regardless of how much they had previously been paid.

The payment will provide the equivalent of around 70 per cent of the national median wage. For workers in the accommodation, hospitality and retail sectors it will equate to a full median replacement wage.

New Zealanders living in Australia on 444 visas will be able to access the $1,500 fortnightly payments, the government also confirmed.

Bigger Than Anything You’ve Seen Before

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said Australia’s $130 billion scheme was “unlike those announce by other nations”.

“It is more generous than New Zealand’s and broader than the UK’s scheme,” he said.

Josh Frydenberg and Scott Morrison both foreshadowed the wage subsidy separately, with Scott Morrison referencing it in his press conference yesterday.

“The last (stimulus) package that we announced was about broadening and strengthening the safety net for those who are going to be immediately impacted by the shock of losing their jobs,” he said on Sunday morning.

“The next stage, which will be even bigger than anything you have so far seen, will go broader than that and ensure that we are working together with companies to keep people connected to those companies.

“This is part of the hibernation strategy of ensuring that we keep people connected with businesses and with their jobs so that on other side of this, Australia can bounce back stronger.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

O Periklis students shave heads after raising $12,000 for Royal Children’s Hospital

O Periklis Dance Group’s recent fundraising initiative at its TradFest event has raised an impressive $12,000 for Royal Children’s Hospital.

ABC series ‘Stuff the British Stole’ to spotlight Parthenon Marbles debate

ABC series 'Stuff the British Stole' airs tonight at 8pm and will spotlight the Parthenon Marbles debate. Read more here.

Greek Finance Minister: Expect a recession of up to 10 percent due to tourism losses

Greek Finance Minister, Christos Staikouras, has said the economy could contract up to ten percent in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.