Two police officers injured and a gunman killed outside Israeli consulate in Istanbul

·

Two police officers were injured and a gunman killed in a shooting outside a building that houses the Israeli consulate in Istanbul. The consulate itself was empty at the time, when three attackers opened fire at police around lunchtime on Tuesday.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned the incident, calling it a “treacherous attack”, and said, “We will continue our fight against all kinds of terrorism, and we will not allow… provocations to harm Türkiye’s climate of security.”

Interior Minister Mustafa Ciftci said two of the three attackers were brothers and confirmed, “The identities of the terrorists have been identified,” adding that one had links to an organisation that “exploits religion.” Authorities later clarified that the gunman who was killed “had connections with a terrorist group.”

The attackers had travelled from Izmit to Istanbul in a rental car and later clashed with police near Yapı Kredi Plaza. Two officers suffered minor injuries during the clash.

Israel’s foreign ministry thanked Turkish authorities for stopping the attack, stating, “We appreciate the Turkish security forces’ swift action in thwarting this attack,” and emphasised, “Terror will not deter us.”

The consulate had already been unstaffed due to ongoing tensions between Israel and Turkey, particularly over the Gaza war. Relations between the two countries have been strained, with diplomatic ties largely frozen and heavy security maintained around the consulate.

Footage of the incident showed one attacker carrying what looked like an assault rifle, taking cover behind a bus while exchanging fire with police. Officers responded, and one was seen falling before moving to safety.

After the incident, police secured the area, closed nearby roads, and forensic teams searched for evidence. An investigation has been launched, led by three prosecutors.

US Ambassador Tom Barrack condemned the incident, saying, “Attacks on diplomatic missions are attacks on the international order – and an assault on the principles that bind nations together.”

Source: ABC News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

CaringKids founder Margaret Skagias ‘proud’ to provide happiness to young carers across Australia

Margaret Skagias, founder and director of ‘CaringKids’, was motivated four years ago to make sure that these children are able to enjoy their youth while taking care of their family members from home.

Lachlan Ilias fires back after Dragons demotion with blistering two-try performance

Lachlan Ilias delivered a powerful response to his recent NRL demotion at the St George Illawarra Dragons. Read more here.

‘I’m devastated’: Effie Kats pulls out of Melbourne Fashion Week due to COVID delivery delays

Effie Kats was ready to show her new collection of suits at Melbourne Fashion Week this year until she was hit by COVID-19 delivery delays.