Hospitality industry urges Government to ease restrictions to one person per two square metres

·

Labor is urging the Government to implement the one person per two square metre rule across all NSW venues to support the hospitality industry during its busiest trading period of the year.

Industry peak bodies and venue operators are demanding a more consistent, clear pathway out of COVID-19, after dealing with confusing, last minute announcements from the Government.

Shadow Minister for Health, Ryan Park, said the industry needs certainty around rule changes to bring some normality back to the year and enable safe health practices.

NSW Premier, Galdys Berejiklian, announced an easing of COVID-19 restrictions on November 25, 2020. Photo: 9News.

“Businesses are more than willing to comply with health regulations. We have seen that since March when COVID-19 first began to impact the industry,” Mr Park said.

“But this Government needs to ensure they are providing clear rule changes with the best interest of keeping the community safe while ensuring businesses are supported during the peak season.

“The Premier needs to stop protecting her own self-image by announcing good news and eased restrictions when she’s facing heat in the public eye.”

Shadow Minister for Better Public Service, Sophie Cotsis, says the Government needs to consider allowing all businesses to implement the one person per two square metre rule as soon as possible.

“The move will help support thousands of jobs to return to the industry which is an important step for economic recovery,” Ms Cotsis said.

“This an opportunity for Government to provide certainty, confidence and boost NSW’s great hospitality sector.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Princess Anne begins official Greece visit for Battle of Crete anniversary

Princess Anne has arrived in Greece for an official visit to attend commemorations marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

November 17 mastermind Alexandros Giotopoulos freed after appeals court ruling

Convicted November 17 terrorist group leader Alexandros Giotopoulos has been released from prison under strict conditions.

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

You May Also Like

Theo Papageorgiou’s parents hope his death will lead to change in SA’s mental health system

Theo Papageorgiou’s parents hope his tragic death will lead to change in South Australia's mental health system.

Two Irish classmates die hours apart on Greek island of Ios

Greek police are investigating the deaths of two Irish teenagers on the Aegean island of Ios over the weekend.

Manolis Androulidakis: ‘Hope to bring joy to Greeks of Australia with my music’

Manolis Androulidakis boasts that he has achieved a lot so far in his career in music, but his dreams continue.