Basil Zempilas: Be proud of your heritage and being Australian

·

In an interview with the Chris Smith & Friends Podcast on Sky News Australia, Lord Mayor of Perth, Basil Zempilas, proudly discussed his Greek heritage and how it has been “character building” for him.

Host of the podcast, Chris Smith, opened up the conversation by referencing Zempilas’ name, saying “you’ve got to have a very rich Greek heritage.”

Zempilas agreed with a laugh and began describing what it was like being a Greek Australian at school.

READ MORE: Exclusive: Basil Zempilas – ‘My heart beats true for Greece and Perth.’

“Look it’s quite character building actually. When you’re born in Australia and you go to school and your name’s Basil Zempilas and you look like this, you work out pretty quickly… if you’re going to be able to deal with the cards that you’ve been dealt,” Zempilas says.

The proud Kastellorizian, who is a father-of-three, then goes on to add that people born in Australia who have a non-Australian background are “different.”

“You know you’re different. And of course we assimilate, and of course we are one country, but it is something to be proud of,” Zempilas says.

READ MORE: Greek Australian Basil Zempilas elected as new City of Perth Lord Mayor.

Basil Zempilas is a proud Kastellorizian. He’s pictured here with his wife Amy and their children Ava 9, Anthony 2, and Chloe 6. Picture: Jackson Flindell /The West Australian.

“And one of the things that I try and do wherever I go is I always speak of my Greek heritage and particularly to other young Greek Australians. I always speak to them and say ‘be very proud of your heritage.’

“It’s important and of course it’s important to be Australian. We’re Australian’s first. That’s a very strong principle of mine.”

Zempilas concluded by saying that people need to be “conscious” of where they’ve come from and “what story that brings you” because it can “define you” as a person.

READ MORE: ‘A victory for every Greek Australian’: Basil Zempilas reflects on tough election campaign.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Izzy the Jerusalem Donkey’: Helen Lakatos releases new kids book for Orthodox Easter

Helen Lakatos is a first generation Australian-born Cypriot, proud mum of two grown boys, and a loving yiayia of three grandchildren.

Kastellorizo and its gold: Nick Bogiatzis to give lecture in Melbourne

The Greek Community of Melbourne will present a lecture entitled "Kastellorizo and its Gold" at the Greek Centre, on Thursday

Greek olive oil excels with koroneiki and flavoured oils

The 2023 EVOO World Ranking (WR) listed 12 Greek extra virgin olive oils (EVOOs) among the world’s top 100

Most untouched beaches found in Mani, Karpathos and Syros

Eastern Mani in southern Greece and the islands of Karpathos and Syros have been identified as the regions having the most friendly beaches.

Last days to enjoy Herk Alexander’s Greek art exhibition in Sydney

On Saturday, April 20, Herk Alexander officially launched his art exhibition as part of the Greek Festival of Sydney.

You May Also Like

Biographer, Ilias Chrissochoidis, retells the story of Greek American film pioneer Spyros Skouras

Biographer, Ilias Chrissochoidis, retells the story of Greek American film pioneer and film executive, Spyros Skouras.

Sammy Klementou at breaking point amid costly prank calls to SA fish and chip shop

Sam Klementou is at his wit's end after receiving dozens of "nasty" prank calls every day for the past three years.

George Karlaftis seals Super Bowl debut with a victory

Greek-born professional football player George Karlaftis and team, the Kansas City Chiefs, have been crowned champions of Super Bowl 2023.