Greek and Turkish musicians join forces to perform at the Sydney Opera House

·

On December 13, 2020 at 2pm, Greek and Turkish musicians will enchant audience members with the magical music of Asia Minor during a special concert at the Sydney Opera House.

The concert, titled ‘Songs Without Borders,’ will be performed in both Greek and Turkish in order to showcase the intermingled and diverse melodies and rhythms of Asia Minor culture.

Six musicians in total will be performing.

Turkish soprano, Ayșe Göknur Shanal, and Greek Australian, Georgette Giatis, will be on vocals, while Michael Platyrrahos will play the lyra and lute, Kurdish musician, Deniz Şimşek, will play the bağlama, Panayioti Kalandranis will perform on the guitar and Kurdish musician, Adem Yılmaz, will play percussion.

The concert will be held in the Utzon room at the Sydney Opera House.

The bond between the musicians is strong, with Georgette Giatis telling The Greek Herald that her and Ayșe Göknur Shanal have been good friends for many years.

“One night I was performing at Koutouki, the Sydney restaurant my husband Panayioti (the musician) and I own, and there was a group of Turkish people eating. So I decided to sing in Turkish for them,” Georgette says.

“AyÈ™e was part of the group and she got up and started singing with me. We’ve been friends ever since.”

This mutual respect and love for each other’s culture led to the idea for the ‘Songs Without Borders’ concert and although it was initially called off earlier this year due to COVID-19, the Sydney Opera House still wanted the concert to go ahead.

“We received a call from the Sydney Opera House and they said, ‘we’re choosing a few events to go ahead and you’re one of them’,” Georgette tells The Greek Herald.

“So we’ve only had about six weeks to get all the musicians together and rehearse. It’s been exhausting but the rehearsals are going well and we’re thrilled to see how the event goes.”

‘Songs Without Borders,’ which will be held in the Utzon Room at the Sydney Opera House, is a ticketed event of $70. You can book your tickets here.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

Grateful organ recipient Dimitri Tsekinis shares story of survival for DonateLife Week

A lifeline was handed not once but twice to 43-year-old Dimitri Tsekinis when he was the recipient of two organs.

2024 Odyssey Art Prize: GOCSA announces open call for visual artists

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia’s Odyssey Festival celebrates 17 years of presence in Adelaide's cultural scene this year.

Dr Phil Kafcaloudes to explore ‘going English’ in lecture on Greek migration

"In a name-proud Greek culture, the decision to anglicise one’s family name is a profound study in migratory and cultural dynamics," says Dr Kafcaloudes.

Peter Kiritsis sells million-dollar Adelaide home as grandfather gifts it to grandkids

An Adelaide grandfather has set a new standard for grandparent gifts by purchasing a 1960s-built home for his grandchildren at auction.

You May Also Like

Consul General of Greece in Sydney meets with Professor Tamar Hodos

The Consul General of Greece in Sydney meets with newly appointed Director of the Australian Archaeological Institute at Athens.

Greek and Israeli Defence Ministers re-affirm close ties during meeting

Greek Defence Minister, Nikos Panagiotopoulos, met with his Israeli counterpart, Benny Gantz, on Thursday at the Israeli Ministry of Defence.

Perth local Marilyn Tsolakis named Kastellorizian of the Year 2023

Perth-based Marilyn Tsolakis has been named 2023 Kastellorizian of the Year by The Kastellorizian Association of Victoria.