Cyprus on high alert as conflict in Lebanon escalates

·

Cyprus anxiously awaits instruction as other countries have been directed to activate their equivalent ‘Estia’ plan to evacuate their citizens from Lebanon.

According to Cyprus Mail, foreign ministry spokesman Theodoros Gotsis confirmed that no requests to activate the ‘Estia’ plan had been given to the island nation.

The ‘Estia’ plan is Cyprus’ existing strategic protocol in the event of mass evacuation of European Union and third country nationals from neighbouring countries.

Cyprus’ deputy government spokesman Yiannis Antoniou, added that the government is “ready,” and their facilities are “on standby” in accordance with the ‘Estia’ plan.

“If help is needed, we will provide it. We have the know-how and the infrastructure to do so,” Antoniou said.

Cyprus yet to receive requests for Lebanon evacuations
Photo: CBS KKTV.

Tensions have risen in the Middle East region after Israel promised to retaliate following the deaths of 12 people in a strike attributed to Hezbollah in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights on Saturday, July 27.

Israel also claimed on Wednesday it had killed high-ranking Hezbollah commander Fuad Shukr during its bombing of Lebanon’s capital Beirut on Tuesday.

Cyprus has also previously been targeted by Hezbollah, with the head of the Lebanon militant group Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah threatening to consider the island nation as a “part of the war” should it continue to allow Israel to use its airports and bases for military exercises.

Source: Cyprus Mail.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Nostalgia, comedy and depth: Wog Boys Forever film premieres in Sydney

Nick Giannopolous and the 'Wog Boys Forever' ensemble made their way northward, checking in to the Enmore Theatre for the Sydney premiere.

Salamina honours Greek Australian artist Efrossini Chaniotis

Renowned Greek Australian painter Efrossini Chaniotis was honoured on Friday, November 21 in Salamina, Greece during a celebratory event.

Sarikas family ‘thrilled’ after receiving ‘Pharmacy of the Year’ award at North Shore Business Awards

"As a very proud 3rd generation Australian born Greek, I'm thrilled to receive this award for Bridgepoint Pharmacy in Mosman," John said to The Greek Herald.