‘I miss him every day’: Braith Anasta shares how family tragedy shaped him

·

When people hear the name Braith Anasta on the streets of Sydney, the first image that’s guaranteed to come to mind is that of a young rugby league footballer playing for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and Sydney Roosters, and proudly representing NSW in the State of Origin series.

Today though, life looks a little different for Anasta. The former professional footballer, who’s full surname is Anastasakis, is now the host of NRL 360, a player manager and dad to a “Brady Bunch” family.

Speaking with The Daily Telegraph, Anasta shares how although he’s incredibly proud of what he’s achieved in his short 40 years of life, he just wishes his dad was here to see it as well.

Anasta playing for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs. Photo: News Corp Australia.

Peter Anasta was the heart and soul of the Anastasakis family. In the early 1980s, he ran a successful and highly reputable smash repair business in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.

He met and married Kim and later went on to have two boys, first Damon and then three years later, Braith.

“Dad worked his arse off,” Anasta told the newspaper and explained how Peter’s best mate “ended up ripping him off” and he was “devastated.”

Anasta, his father Peter and his brother, Damon. Credit: Instagram/Braith Anasta.

When Anasta was just 15, his dad committed suicide. He says his family “has never been the same” and his mum and brother “haven’t been able to come to terms with it all.”

For Anasta, he coped with his father’s death differently. He immersed himself in sport to the point of distraction.

“I played golf, rugby union, signed a contract with Souths at 16, then signed a deal at the Bulldogs and it was one thing after another keeping me going,” he said.

Anasta is now mentoring young footballers.

“It distracted me at the time. But then it would come back and hit me at later times.”

Today, Anasta says he ‘misses his dad every day’ but he’s channelled that pain into building a world-class pod of talent for his co-management stable, Searoo Sports.

The company focuses on managing the careers of Australia’s most talented young golfers and a small collection of rugby league players, headlined by Storm and Queensland State of Origin star Cameron Munster.

A perfect fit for Anasta if you ask us!

Source: The Daily Telegraph.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

HACCI hold inaugural National Federation Meeting in Sydney

The Hellenic Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry held its Inaugural HACCI National Federation Meeting (HNF) in Sydney.

NSW Police Detective Superintendent Arthur Kopsias retires after four decades of service

NSW Police Detective Superintendent Arthur Kopsias has retired after four decades of service to the police force.

Australian designer Claire Lloyd transforms the old house of a priest in Lesvos

Australian, Claire Lloyd, visited Mytilene island 17 years ago, bought the old house of a priest and turned it into a tourist's dream.