Australian Government unveils $130 billion support package

·

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has pledged $130 billion over the next six months to help Australians who have found themselves out of work.

Mr Morrison said the $130 billion was to “support the jobs and livelihoods of the almost six million Australians who will need that lifeline in the months ahead”.

As part of the $130 billion support package, the government is introducing a $1,500 “Job Keeper” payment.

$1,500 “Job Keeper” Payment

The payment will provide businesses with $1,500 a fortnight, per employee, for the next six months. Businesses applying for the Job Keeper payment will need to prove their turnover has dropped at least 30 per cent.

“We’re all in this together, that’s what’s fair, that’s what’s Australian,” Mr Morrison said.

Mr Morrison said the Job Keeper payment was “to keep Australians in their jobs even when the work dries up”.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced a new $130 billion package to help employees. Picture: Mick Tsikas/AAPSource:AAP

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said the payments would be available for full-time workers, part-time workers, sole traders and casuals who have been with their employer for 12 months or more. The payment will be a flat rate of $1,500, regardless of how much they had previously been paid.

The payment will provide the equivalent of around 70 per cent of the national median wage. For workers in the accommodation, hospitality and retail sectors it will equate to a full median replacement wage.

New Zealanders living in Australia on 444 visas will be able to access the $1,500 fortnightly payments, the government also confirmed.

Bigger Than Anything You’ve Seen Before

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said Australia’s $130 billion scheme was “unlike those announce by other nations”.

“It is more generous than New Zealand’s and broader than the UK’s scheme,” he said.

Josh Frydenberg and Scott Morrison both foreshadowed the wage subsidy separately, with Scott Morrison referencing it in his press conference yesterday.

“The last (stimulus) package that we announced was about broadening and strengthening the safety net for those who are going to be immediately impacted by the shock of losing their jobs,” he said on Sunday morning.

“The next stage, which will be even bigger than anything you have so far seen, will go broader than that and ensure that we are working together with companies to keep people connected to those companies.

“This is part of the hibernation strategy of ensuring that we keep people connected with businesses and with their jobs so that on other side of this, Australia can bounce back stronger.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Dendias demands apology from Ukraine over naval drone incident

Nikos Dendias has said Ukraine owes Greece a “big apology” after a Ukrainian naval drone was discovered off the coast of Lefkada.

Unidentified odour blankets southern Athens as authorities search for source

Residents across southern parts of Athens were left alarmed after a strong unexplained smell swept through several coastal suburbs.

Greece denies role in Israeli interception of Gaza-bound flotilla

Greece has denied any involvement in the Israeli military’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla bound for Gaza.

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

You May Also Like

Westpac hits a wall in extraditing Bill Papas from Greece

A judge has expressed concerns Bill Papas’ extradition from Greece may fall in the “too hard basket,” The Sydney Morning Herald has reported.

GCM Schools to host two-day VCE Greek Summer Seminar this month

The Greek Community of Melbourne Schools continue to invest in the academic success of their students by delivering educational initiatives.

Greek policeman hit by flare during sport riot dies in hospital

A Greek policeman is confirmed dead following a naval flare incident that took place during a violent clash with Olympiakos fans in Rentis.