‘Treat us as equals’: Turkish FM reiterates support of two-state solution in Cyprus

·

Turkish Foreign Minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu, has reiterated Turkey’s support for a two-state solution in Cyprus, while accusing Greece of trying to rally international support against his country, Ekathimerini reports.

“Two states existing side by side can cooperate between them in every possible way,” Cavusoglu said during a visit to the Turkish-occupied north of the island on Monday. 

“If the Greek Cypriot side is sincere about wanting to treat Turkish Cypriots as equals, then it will recognise their political sovereignty and we will cooperate.”

Cavusoglu also accused Greek officials of “griping” to the international community and unfairly accusing his country of preparing to attack Greece.

In response, Greek diplomatic sources quoted by state broadcaster ERT said that Greece “will not be drawn into a sterile confrontation” with Turkey. 

“We have responded to Turkey’s baseless claims with maps and letters. Athens responds calmly and with evidence,” the same sources said.

READ MORE: Athens responds to Erdogan’s threats over the Aegean islands.

Map released by the Greek Foreign Minister last week.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974 when Turkey invaded after a brief Greek Cypriot coup orchestrated by the military junta then ruling Greece.

Turkey justified its invasions by citing its rights to protect Turkish Cypriots, but the island has remained divided between the internationally recognised Republic of Cyprus and the TRNC, which is only recognised as a state by Turkey.

Turkey’s calls for a two-state solution on the Mediterranean island are in violation of United Nations resolutions and have been rejected by Cyprus, Greece, the European Union and the United States.

READ MORE: Von der Leyen: EU will ‘never, ever’ accept two-state deal on Cyprus.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

St Euphemia College hosts Hellenic National Defence delegation

St Euphemia College welcomed a distinguished delegation from the Hellenic National Defence General Staff (HNDGS).

St Spyridon College students shine at 2026 da Vinci Decathlon

Students from St Spyridon College took part in the 2026 da Vinci Decathlon at Knox Grammar School, with selected participants.

Oakleigh Grammar celebrates 10 years of changing lives with the Arrowsmith Program

Oakleigh Grammar proudly marked a significant milestone, celebrating 10 years of the Arrowsmith Program with a special evening.

You May Also Like

Melbourne’s Greek community gathers to commemorate the Battle of Crete

Melbourne's Greek community gathered at events over the weekend to commemorate the 83rd anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Renos Haralambidis reflects on time, art, and the spirit of Hellenism during Sydney visit

Greek filmmaker Renos Haralambidis concluded an insightful and warmly received visit to Sydney, which featured his entire body of work.

Aged care home once operated by chicken-killing Apostolatos brothers set to be sold

An aged care home in Melbourne once operated by a business linked to two bankrupt Greek Australian brothers is set to sell.