Developer, Theo Maras, calls for a new vision for future development across Adelaide

·

South Australian property mogul and developer, Theo Maras, has called for the state government “to set out a new vision for future development across Adelaide.”

In an opinion piece for The Advertiser, Mr Maras criticises the lack of a “clear planning vision” for Adelaide since 2017, when the government updated its ’30-Year Plan for Greater Adelaide’ to respond to population growth and high-density development.

READ MORE: Theo Maras: “Give selflessly, be passionate, go on with your vision”.

“We are told the state is committed to a more compact urban form and managing growth within our existing footprint. In simple terms, an ambition that would see Adelaide grow up rather than out,” Mr Maras writes.

SA developer, Theo Maras.

“Yet this appears to merely pay lip service to seriously planning for Adelaide’s future.”

READ MORE: Theo Maras calls for greater help to prevent hospitality industry from crumbling.

Mr Maras gave a number of examples of where development has already gone wrong in the capital city, including “the parochial, emotional debate about the Riverbank precinct.”

“We are told the Riverbank precinct is an integral part of Adelaide’s identity. Yet a range of proposed zoning-and-policy changes are being considered in isolation to a holistic plan,” he writes.

READ MORE: Theo Maras shares plans for new Adelaide Central Market.

The Riverbank precinct.

“Even as a developer, I believe our unique Adelaide parklands must stay sacrosanct. It is an invaluable public asset, like Central Park in New York or Hyde Park in London.”

To break this negative development cycle, Mr Maras suggested a “holistic planning review” is needed “that starts with industry and better defines our economic hubs, including in the regions.”

READ MORE: The Maras family control some of the most valuable real estate in Adelaide’s East End.

“Now is the time for the government to step up and map out SA’s future. We are already Australia’s most liveable city. Let’s make SA the nation’s best-planned state,” he concludes.

Source: The Advertiser.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

‘I do feel Greek’: Novak Djokovic settles into life in Athens

Tennis champion Novak Djokovic has spoken openly about feeling Greek as he settles into life in Athens after relocating from Serbia.

Greece moves ahead with major offshore exploration south of Crete

Greece has signed concession agreements for four offshore hydrocarbon exploration blocks south of Crete and the Peloponnese.

Renowned Byzantine scholar Hélène Glykatzi-Ahrweiler dies aged 99

Renowned Byzantine historian Hélène Glykatzi-Ahrweiler has died at the age of 99, marking the passing of an influential Greek scholars.

St George Thebarton committee responds to controversy over Father Diogenis’ resignation

Following widespread concern over the resignation of Father Diogenis Patsouris, the St George Thebarton committee has issued a statement.

Emmy-winning TV producer Dana Eden found dead in Greece

Israeli television producer Dana Eden, co-creator of the Emmy-winning series Tehran, has died suddenly in Athens.

You May Also Like

Greek women’s water polo team cruise past France to advance in European Championship

The Greek national women’s water polo team produced a dominant display against France, cruising to a 23–5 victory.

Echoes from the past: Bust of the Roman Emperor Hadrian

No other Roman emperor was so influenced by Greek culture, and in return no other Roman shaped Athens so much.

Greece reports 372 new coronavirus cases, highest daily tally so far

Greece reported 372 new cases of COVID-19 infections on Thursday, its highest daily tally since the start of the coronavirus outbreak in the country.