Man arrested after fatal daylight stabbing in Marrickville of Greek Australian dad

·

A 62-year-old man of Greek background walked up to an acquaintance on a street in Sydney’s inner west and killed him by stabbing him multiple times in the torso, police have alleged.

According to The Australian, the alleged daylight attack in Marrickville prompted a major police operation that ended with the arrest of the Greek man in nearby Dulwich Hill on Friday afternoon.

Fatal turn of events:

Emergency services were told at midday on Friday that a man had been stabbed on Marrickville Rd.

Local police officers rushed to the scene and found a 55-year-old who had wounds to his upper body. The officers tried to revive him and were joined by paramedics, but the man’s life could not be saved.

The scene of the alleged daylight attack.

“He had a total of 25 minutes worth of resuscitation before we became aware that the patient would not survive his injuries,” Duty Operations Manager, Inspector Giles Buchanan, told 7 News.

Police began an intensive investigation which led them to a location on Denison Road in Dulwich Hill, where tactical operations officers and negotiators managed to arrest the alleged attacker.

The man was taken to hospital under police guard, where he was treated for injuries that were not sustained in either the alleged incident or during the arrest, police said.

The victim:

According to a GoFundMe launched by Sam Gravanis, the 55-year-old stabbing victim was a man named Sofoklis, who was battling cancer and has left behind an 8-year-old daughter and his elderly mother, Niki.

“This news has devastated his family,” the GoFundMe states.

There was a police operation in Dulwich Hill.

“We’ve set this gofundme to help raise funds to assist with Thea Niki and her 8-year-old granddaughter. These funds will go towards funeral expenses as well as ongoing support for the family. Thank you for any support you’re able to extend.”

Inner West Police Commander, Sam Crisafulli, told The Australian that the two men were known to each other but not related.

They were both known to police but had no links to organised or serious crime.

“The exact motive for this (alleged) murder is still under investigation. I don’t want to speculate why or what happened,” Mr Crisafulli said.

“It’s not what you would expect in the middle of a suburban area at all. And I suppose I just want to take this opportunity to reassure the community that it is safe in Marrickville.” 

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Father Antonios convicted on multiple abuse charges in Ark of the World case

Father Antonios has been sentenced to 9.5 years’ imprisonment, commuted to a fine exceeding €60,000, after Greece’s court found him guilty.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released as Epstein-linked probe continues

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation after being arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

You May Also Like

George Lekakis leads Multicultural Review: ‘Must remember where we came from’

George Lekakis, one of Victoria’s respected figures, comes out of retirement to lead a review of the state’s multicultural policies.

Sydney student Anna Petrou accepted into prestigious Berklee College of Music in the US

All Saints Grammar Class of 2025 student Anna Petrou has been accepted into the prestigious Berklee College of Music in the United States.

Free TAFE courses on offer in NSW to up-skill people during coronavirus crisis

People in New South Wales will be able to up-skill during the coronavirus pandemic, with 21 fee-free TAFE NSW short courses now available online.