Filomina Kyriacou faces court for stealing $1 million while also accused of faking cancer

·

Almost one year ago, Sydney accountant Filomina Kyriacou had her registration terminated by the Tax Practitioners Board over unpaid tax and penalties of $2.4 million.

This week, the accountant and her son, George Kyriacou, were accused in the case taken in the NSW Supreme Court of withdrawing $1,097,068 without permission from the accounts of a company previously run by her ex business partner Angelo Russo.

READ MORE: Tax accountant Filomina Kyriacou facing ban over $2.4 million unpaid tax bill

In court this week, Justice Guy Parker granted a temporary freezing order on Ms Kyriacou’s accounts while the case plays out.

According to his affidavit filed with the court, Mr Russo claims there were 101 individual payments taken out of Wentworth Williams Auditing.

Ms Kyriacou is fighting being banned from operating as a tax agent.

He also claimed that Ms Kyriacou and her son had removed themselves as directors of the company in an attempt to stifle attempts to have the financial records revealed.

Mr Russo wrote in his affidavit that he confronted the pair over the money, The Daily Telegraph reports.

“Filomena would always refer me to George and George would always say he would get the documents together, however, George never provided me with anything,” Mr Russo wrote.

The court documents reveal Anthony Sumbati, an Australian Idol semi-finalist in 2003 who went on to work for Ms Kyriacou from 2015 to 2019, also gave an affidavit.

Anthony Sumbati performing in Australian Idol semi final in 2003.

Mr Sumbati wrote that Ms Kyriacou told him: “Treat (Mr Russo) like a mushroom. Keep him in the dark. Don’t tell him anything. I control the money, he doesn’t need to know what I do with it.”

The singer also claimed in the affidavit that Ms Kyriacou “overstated” her cancer.

“When I first started working for Filomena in 2015, she told me words to the effect: ‘I have cancer. I only have a few months to live’,” Mr Sumbati wrote.

The case will return to court on June 22.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Acropolis Museum director: Reunification of Parthenon Marbles an ‘international demand’

The Director of the Acropolis Museum in Athens, Greece has said the reunification of the Parthenon Marbles is an 'international demand.'

Hellenic Writers unite a divided island through poetry in ‘Logos’ publication

Renowned Cypriot Australian poet Andrea Demetriou has a long history of political activism through her poetry.

TGH Exclusive: Chief firefighters in Greece offer messages of solidarity to Australia

Nikos Chardalias: "We Offer a Selected Forest Fire Fighting Team in Australia"