Stefanos Tsitsipas to face Novak Djokovic in Italian Open quarter-final

·

Stefanos Tsitsipas overcame Italian No. 1 Matteo Berrettini 7-6(3), 6-2 to reach the Internazionali BNL d’Italia quarter-finals, where the Greek will face World No. 1 Novak Djokovic.

In a first set dominated by serve, Tsitsipas rallied from 1/3 down in the tie-break with six consecutive points. The Greek attacked Berrettini’s forehand and took advantage of consecutive volley errors to move a set from victory.

Tsitsipas created six break points across his opening two return games in the second set, breaking through at 1-1 to increase his advantage. Tsitsipas closed the match with a second break and a love service hold to finish the match.

“I had to deal with very serious business today,” Tsitsipas said. “Matteo was applying a lot of pressure with his serve, being very precise and accurate and that was the most difficult [part] of the match today… In the tie-break, I found my footwork which helped me transform my game and feel more comfortable playing the rallies. I was happy. I fought like I always do. I never gave up. I saw [my] opportunity and grabbed it.”

The fifth seed won seven of his eight net points and capitalised on Berrettini’s low first-serve percentage in the second set (32%) to advance after one hour and 36 minutes. Tsitsipas has reached the quarter-finals at eight of his nine tournament appearances this season.

ROME, ITALY- MAY 11: Images Stefanos Tsitsipas from Greece during his first round match on day 4, photo by Corinne Dubreuil/ATP Tour

Tsitsipas owns a 2-4 ATP Head2Head record against Djokovic. In the pair’s most recent meeting, Djokovic outlasted Tsitsipas 6-3, 6-2, 5-7, 4-6, 6-1 to reach last year’s Roland Garros final.

“[Djokovic] has won here a lot of times. I am just expecting to go out there [and] give my best performance,” Tsitsipas said in his post-match interview.

“He can play on all surfaces. We played each other at Roland Garros. I see this as an opportunity for me to do something better this time. I hope to be able to play the same tennis that I have been playing so far and be a challenge for him.”

Sourced By: ATP Tour

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Australia enforces historic under-16 social media ban

Australia’s world-first ban on social media for under-16s has taken effect, prompting platforms to remove young users’ accounts.

Former UFC fighter, Elias Theodorou, dies from cancer at age 34

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) legend, Elias Theodorou, has died from cancer at the age of 34.

Operation Ironside: Greek Australians among those charged in NSW police bust

Two Greek Australians, Emmanuel Vamvoukakis and Luke Andreou, are among those charged in the NSW police bust.