Kyrgios advances to Wimbledon grand final after Nadal pulls out

·

22-time grand slam champ, Rafael Nadal, has withdrawn from Wimbledon with injury, sending Nick Kyrgios to his first-ever grand slam final.

Nadal, who has won both the Australian and French Opens this year, suffered an abdominal injury during his semi-final victory over America’s Taylor Fritz in the English tournament yesterday.

“I knew something was not okay there. It’s confirmed I have a tear in the muscle in the abdomen… I can’t risk being out of the sport for two to three months,” a disappointed Nadal said.

The 36-year-old’s withdrawal has advanced Kyrgios to the Sunday night final against either World No. 3 Novak Djokovic or World No. 12 Cameron Norrie, where he will look to be the first Australian man to lift the Wimbledon trophy since Lleyton Hewitt in 2002.

World No.40 Kyrgios is now the ninth Australian man to progress to a Wimbledon final in the Open era and the first since Mark Philippoussis in 2003, who was also unseeded.

Earlier this morning, the 27-year-old took to his Instagram wishing Nadal a speedy recovery, writing: “different players, different personalities. @rafaelnadal I hope your recovery goes well and we all hope to see you healthy soon. till next time…”

READ MORE: Kyrgios ‘remains scheduled’ to compete at Wimbledon amid assault allegations


Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Three Australians of Greek heritage take out prestigious auctioneering titles

Three Australians of Greek heritage have taken out auctioneering titles at the REIV Awards for Excellence 2022 on October 20.

Alcaraz claims Australian Open title to complete career grand slam

Carlos Alcaraz wins the Australian Open after defeating Novak Djokovic, marking a historic career grand slam at just 22.

‘Definitely not racist’: Cumberland Council Mayor Steve Christou at centre of petition storm

Residents are demanding western Sydney Mayor Steve Christou to be sacked over “racist” and “offensive” comments.