King returns to the ring: George Kambosos Jr to fight Teofimo Lopez in mega $7.6 million deal

·

One of Australia’s biggest lightweight boxers George “Ferocious” Kambosos Jr will finally be returning to the ring to fight Teofimo Lopez in massive $7.6 million (AUD) deal offered by streaming platform Triller.

George Kambosos Jr was set to fight the current unified lightweight world champion, with arrangements being made as to which company would be promoting the fight. Matchroom and Top Rank reportedly offered $3.5 million and $2.3 million (USD) to promote the fight, yet a stunning $6 million (USD) bid by Triller trumped both companies.

The upstart tech company previously promoted the exhibition match between former heavyweight champions Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr as a pay-per-view attraction. According to reports, the fight generated more than 1.6 million buys.

READ MORE: IBF officially orders lightweight champion to face George Kambosos Jr
READ MORE: TGH Exclusive: George “Ferocious” Kambosos Jr – The unbeaten Greek Australian fighter who dreams of being world champion!

The bidding process staged by the IBF stated that Lopez, as the champion, would receive $4 million (US), with Kambosos and his team receiving $2 million (USD), minus promotional expenses.

The International Boxing Federation (IBF) officially ordered Lopez Jnr to defend his belt against the unbeaten Kambosos in January 2021. Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald following the announcement, Kambosos said he was pushing for the match to be held in Australia.

George Kambosos Jr. Photo: Supplied

“I really want it. A lot of people don’t want to fight Lopez. But this mandatory is good. I really want this fight, I truly believe I will win this fight,” Kambosos said last month.

Kambosos is currently on a 19-0 win streak, last winning his fight against Selby and Mickey Bey in December, 2019, at Madison Square Garden on the Terence Crawford card.

Kambosos added that he thinks the world title fight will give him a chance to “become the first and the greatest fighter in Australian history.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

GACL invites artists to take part in first-ever ‘Greek Australian Artists Directory’

The Greek-Australian Cultural League (GACL) is inviting artists to register for a new platform in what will be the first-ever 'Greek Australian Artists Directory' (GAAD).

‘A century of inspiration’: Melbourne honours Theodorakis and Hatzidakis

With a packed hall at the Cretan Brotherhood of Melbourne, the cultural event “A Century of Inspiration” took place.

Nicole Christodoulou to play in Football Australia’s new ParaMatildas team

Nicole Christodoulou has been named as one of the ParaMatildas and spoke passionately about her love of football.