George Timotheou continues football dream with Adelaide United less than one year after heart surgery

·

George Timotheou has made the next step on his journey to becoming one of Australia’s top defenders, recently signing a two-year deal with A-League side Adelaide United.

The Greek Australian defender moved to Germany in 2018 from Sydney Olympic FC to join Schalke’s reserve side. Impressing from day one, he was quickly moved up after 23 matches to train with the first team where he made one appearance.

He was loaned out to Belgian outfit, Zulte Waregem, to get more game time, yet decided a move back to Australia would be the best choice to develop his career. It was at this time that George discovered he had an issue with his bicuspid valve, sidelining him for up to nine months.

George Timotheou has signed with A-League side Adelaide United. Photo: Supplied

“It’s very exciting because now I’m obviously at a better place than what I had been my whole career,” Timotheou said in a prior interview earlier this year.

With his heart now operating a “full capacity”, George is looking to get back on the pitch and earn his way back to the top.

“I haven’t played too many senior games in the last season or two, but that’s why I’m here and that’s what I want to do – help the team and this Club be successful,” Timotheou says.

“It’s going to be a big season for this group and I think we’re going in positive direction to bring more success to South Australia.”

Adelaide United Director of Football, Bruce Djite, said while missing a substantial amount of football over the past year, he is working his way back to his “best level”.

“His technical ability, passing, and defensive attributes were evident from his first day with the group and he impressed both Carl and Ross very quickly,” Djite says.

“He has many qualities and, despite being just 23, he is a natural leader that will add to the depth and strength of our defence.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

50 years on: Frederika Apokidou reflects on Cyprus invasion and move to Australia

To gain a first-hand understanding of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus, I spoke with a charming Cypriot lady - Frederika Apokidou.

Three stolen ancient artifacts repatriated to Greece

Emory University's Michael C. Carlos Museum is set to repatriate to Greece three ancient artifacts, which were believed to have been looted.

Greeks named among the top 100 innovators in Australia

The Australian, and a world-class panel of experts, has named its top 100 innovators today and among the list are three Greek Australians.