Greek PM expresses grief as 1 person confirmed dead and 5 missing after Canadian helicopter crash off Greece

·

One person is dead and five are missing after a military helicopter operating off a Canadian frigate during a NATO exercise crashed into the sea between Greece and Italy, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday.

“I express my grief over the crash of the Canadian helicopter in the Ionian Sea last night,” Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said Thursday, speaking in parliament.

He said he would contact Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to express his government’s condolences.

The Canadian armed forces said the helicopter had been “involved in an accident” and that the families of the missing crew members had been contacted but gave no further details.

A Greek navy helicopter was taking part in the search for the CH-148 Cyclone helicopter that went missing on Wednesday night, defence officials said.

The search was being carried out west of the Greek island of Kefalonia, where the manoeuvres were being held as part of a NATO naval operation run from Naples, Italy.

Gen. Jonathan Vance, Canada’s top military official, said the ship lost contact with the aircrew on Wednesday evening and that flares were spotted from the water minutes later. He confirmed the body of 23-year-old Abbigail Cowbrough has been recovered.

 Abbigail Cowbrough has been identified as one of the victims of the CH-148 Cyclone helicopter crash off the coast of Greece on April 29, 2020. Facebook/Tanya Cowbrough

Read More: NATO helicopter crashes in Greece’s Ionian Sea

Tanya Cowbrough said on Facebook her daughter had been killed.

“My beautiful daughter has been in a military accident and passed away,” she wrote. “Nothing can replace her.”

Shane Cowbrough said he lost his oldest daughter.

“I am broken and gutted,” he posted. “There are no words. You made me forever proud. I will love you always, and miss you in every moment.”

Her death hit Nova Scotia hard as it’s already dealing with the killings of 22 people by a gunman who went on a rampage two weeks ago. “Today, Nova Scotians are mourning another loss,” Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil said.

GoFundMe page has been established to support Cowbrough’s family.

Sourced By: Associated Press

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

You May Also Like

Australia’s Prime Minister sends message to mark Battle of Crete anniversary

In memory of the Battle of Crete, Prime Minister of Australia, Ánthony Albanese remembers those who fought and died in May 1941.

Andy Marinos reportedly leading race to become Rugby Australia CEO

The appointment of a CEO to Rugby Australia would mark an end to a difficult but significant year for the rugby union.

In memoriam of Elizabeth Jeffreys: A leading scholar in Byzantine and Greek studies

Professor Elizabeth Jeffreys died suddenly after a debilitating stroke early on the morning of September 12.