Greece’s Culture Minister, Lina Mendoni, has reiterated a long-standing request for the British Museum to return the Parthenon Marbles, ahead of the 11th anniversary of the Acropolis Museum which was purpose-built to house the antiquities.
“It is time for the British Museum to reconsider its stance ahead of the Acropolis Museum’s next birthday, which is on June 20,” Mendoni told private broadcaster Star TV on Saturday.
“Does it want to be a museum that meets and will continue to meet modern requirements and speak to the soul of the people, or will it remain a colonial museum which intends to hold treasures of world cultural heritage that do not belong to it?”
Greece’s Culture Minister, Lina Mendoni (left), visited the Acropolis when it reopened on May 18, 2020. Source: AFP.
The minister said that the reopening of archaeological sites last week was an opportunity for the international committees to reiterate their long-standing request, and that of the Greek government’s, for their return.
“The Parthenon Marbles are a product of theft and therefore, Greece will never recognise ownership and possession by the British Museum,” Mendoni said.
The ancient friezes, which include depictions of battles between mythical ancient Greeks and centaurs, were taken by British diplomat Lord Elgin in the early 19th century and are now on display at the British Museum in London.
Greece has been campaigning for three decades for their return, arguing that the Ottoman Empire was an occupying force and any permission granted to Lord Elgin during its time is not valid.
However, the British Museum continues to refuse to return the Parthenon Marbles.
Greek Australian, Despina Savva, stunned judges and viewers with her rendition of Billie Eilish’s hit song ‘idontwannabeyouanymore’ at the blind auditions for The Voice Australia 2020.
Despina turned the chair of all four judges, Boy George, Delta, Kelly Rowland and Guy, but ultimately chose Boy George as her coach for this season.
“Auditioning for The Voice Australia 2020 was the most amazing experience! It has always been my dream to be on The Voice and now that I’m actually on it, it doesn’t feel real,” Despina toldThe Greek Heraldover the weekend.
Despina Savva had her brother and parrot for support during her blind auditions for The Voice Australia 2020. Source: news.com.au.
“I had so much excitement and adrenaline in me and was nervous to see if I would even get a chair turn.”
Her singing success was only made more special by the appearance of her pet parrot, which she brought along backstage for support.
Despina will now move forward to the Battle Rounds to compete against the other contestants in Boy George’s team. Her growing fan base across Australia will be behind her every step of the way.
Two teenagers have been charged with murder after a 39-year-old Greek man was allegedly stabbed to death inside his own home in Sydney’s west this morning.
Kevin Kourtis died from multiple stab wounds after five men allegedly stormed into his home in Riverstone just after midnight.
Two women, aged 34 and 43, were also at the Langton Street address when the alleged ambush occurred.
Paramedics were called to the home just after 12.30am, where they performed emergency treatment on the 39-year-old victim but he died a short time later.
The 34-year-old woman was also taken to hospital for treatment to minor injuries.
Police have established several crime scenes, which are being examined by specialist forensic police.
The Riot Squad, PolAir and the Dog Squad were called in to help police search the surrounding area. Within minutes, the two boys, aged 16 and 17, were found on nearby Regent Street and arrested.
They were taken to Riverstone Police Station, where they have since been charged with murder. Both teens have been refused bail and will face children’s court tomorrow.
Police are still looking for the other three people allegedly involved in the attack.
Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au
His Eminence Archbishop Makarios visited the front-line workers and management of the Greek Welfare Centre in Newtown, Sydney on Thursday 21st May.
His Eminence spoke cordially with the Director, Mr. Steve Magdalopoulos, and with management and staff of the Centre, thanking everyone for their strong dedication they show in performing their God-pleasing work.
“To find people who truly believe in what they do and to do it with all their heart is not easy,” he said.
Ο Σεβασμιώτατος Αρχιεπίσκοπος Αυστραλίας κ.κ. Μακάριος, επισκεπτόμενος τα κεντρικά γραφεία του Ελληνικού Κέντρου…
Furthermore, he expressed his confidence in the people who are at the front-line of service of the holy Archdiocese’s organisation, characteristically stating that “I feel very blessed and fortunate to have you. And I also feel very secure because I know that the work that you do, you perform it correctly.”
His Eminence Archbishop Makarios assured the Centre’s management and staff that he is and will continue to be by their side during this crisis and beyond.
Over time, our favourite shops become so familiar that we imagine they have always been there. We drive past the shop and look towards it with the expectation that it is there. And this is why the longevity of any shop or business to a local area is so important to the community itself; such shops and businesses become part of a community’s growth and development, as well as its identity!
George’s Takeaway is just one of those shops whose longevity and success is an integral of Padstow’ history; since 1970, fifty one years in June, this second- generation business has been serving the local community and the locals just love the place.
After Theodore and Georgia (nee: Vasilangos), ran shops such as a fish and chips shop in Regent Park and in partnership at the Central Cafe, Sydney, an opportunity arose in Padstow, where they could buy a run-down shop- with residence. What attracted the Theodore and Georgia to buy this shop were the people, as Georgia remembers, “They were very down-to-earth and nice to us. Back then, Padstow had lots of young people around- lots of young families. We had a young family too.”
In a humorous development, Theodore and Georgia named the shop, “George’s Takeaway” instead of Theodore, and Georgia recalls how this happened, “When we opened the shop for trading, the locals found the name, Theo, too alien and began calling my husband, George, as it is such a Greek name- like Nikos, Chris and john. People would greet him as George, so we called the shop, George’s Hot Food Takeaway. Over the years, my husband responds to customers calling him, George.”
“George’s Takeaway” was opened on Friday, July 26, 1970, and Georgia remembers the takings for the day were a meagre $78! That did not dishearten them because they realised everything was long term and hoped to win over the local community. Whether it was the wholesome and tasty food they cooked or their understanding and good customer service, Theodore and Georgia were a dynamic that did win everyone over, “Our business grew and grew! The busier we got, the more we extended our times for trading; we went for a 9pm finish, to 10pm, then to 11pm, then to 12am… until we reached 2am. I did not mind the 2am finishes because our children were already asleep and we just kept on working. Saturdays were our busiest night! It was convenient that our residence was on the premises.”
Despite being so busy, only Theodore and Georgia ran the shop; they were certainly a dynamic duo, “At our peak, we were cooking 100 dozen meat patties for hamburgers a week and over 150 pieces of fish on a Friday. Theo and I made a good team; we had the same dreams and hopes… we were on the same page. We wanted to work hard and provide the best opportunity for our children.”
Asked the secret behind the success of their takeaway shop and she will emphasise the need for shopowners to put all their efforts to providing a great product and sincerely taking care of their customers.
Despite being tempted to sell the shop after their children, Angela and Nikos, grew up, took their career paths, and married, they decided to working their business, “We thought about retiring or doing something else. However, this shop was part of our lives; whatever happiness (in life) we achieved, it was through this shop. Today, my heart is still in this shop… “
These days, Georgia’s daughter, Angela, and her husband Meletis (Hatzis) run the shop and Georgia still helps around the shop; having practically grown up in “George’s Takeaway”, Angela has seen all the changes in the local area and people’s tastes, “With takeaway shops, you have to move with the times! People’s tastes change and customers are always looking for something different. For a small example, when our family first opened the shop, we only used tomato sauce; then barbeque sauce was popular and these days, we have all sorts of sauces, whether sweet chilli, tzatziki, peri peri and mayonnaise. For any successful business, you have to adjust according to a developing market.”
What makes the Greek-owned takeaway shops is the way they gradually introduced Greek foods to their menu, “My mother cooks up lots of Greek food and customers cannot get enough. One day, she cooked up pastitsio and our customers did not know what it was; I tried to explain what it was and they still could not understand so I just said it was Greek-style lasagne. They love our pastitsio! Our customers also love our ριζόγαλο (rice pudding) and moussaka. This shows just how far Australia has come in multiculturalism; Australians eat all sorts of foods from around the world!”
The takeaway shop of 1970 has definitely changed, but so has Australia; for Angela, Meleti and Georgia, they regard “George’s Takeaway” as a home away from home for so many customers and themselves.
“George’s Takeaway” was featured in Vasili’s book, “Beyond the Shop Windows and Counters”
Ioannis Kolokotronis was a warrior during the Greek war of Independence and served as a Greek politician and Prime Minister of Greece, passing away on May 23, 1868.
Ioannis Kolokotronis was born in 1805 in Zakynthos and was the second son of Theodoros Kolokotronis and Katerina Karousou. His nickname “Brave”, with which he is known, was given to him by his competitors, due to the bravery he showed on the battlefields during the Revolution.
Despite his young age, Kolokotronis took part in the siege of Tripoli and the following year in the siege of Patras. He then went to Western Greece, led by 400 men, to take part in the campaign of Alexander the Great in Epirus, but returned to the Peloponnese before the catastrophic battle of Peta (July 4, 1822).
Photo: Alexander Armenis
The brave warrior took part in many battles throughout his life, being promoted from captain to lieutenant general in 1841.
Kolokotronis famously wrote two of the most valuable sources for the history of the Revolution and the first period of the newly formed Greek state: the “Greek Memoirs, ie letter writer and various documents concerning the Greek Revolution” (1856) and the “Memoirs” (1955).
From 1828 he was married to Fotini Tzavela (1809-1890), who served as lady in honour of Queen Amalia, with the couple having six children.
Gennaios Kolokotronis died of an incurable disease on May 23, 1868.
15-year-old Despina Savva is prepared to shock judges and viewers with her blind audition to be showcased on Nine Network’s The Voice Australia on Sunday May 24.
The Greek Australian was revealed as one of the featured blind auditions for the premiere this Sunday in an Instagram Story on The Voice Australia’s official Instagram page.
The Greek Herald spoke exclusively to the Sydney girl ahead of her blind audition premiere, with Despina revealing that the audition process was the “most amazing experience”.
“Auditioning for The Voice Australia 2020 was the most amazing experience! It has always been my dream to be on The Voice and now that I’m actually on it, it doesn’t feel real!
“I had so much excitement and adrenaline in me and was nervous to see if I would even get a chair turn!”
Despina is currently in Year 10 at Danebank Anglican School For Girls, with the Hurstville school rallying behind their talented student.
“All the best Despina, we are all supporting you!”, Danebank wrote on their official Facebook page.
The Voice Australia will premiere this Sunday on May 24 at 7pm on the 9 Network.
President Katerina Sakellaropoulou highlighted the need for responsibility and a willingness to cooperate during her meeting with opposition SYRIZA leader Alexis Tsipras at the presidential mansion on Friday.
She noted that all sides shared the same goal, which was the progress and prosperity of the Greek people and the preservation of social cohesion in order to face the crisis.
This was Sakellaropoulou’s first meeting with the main opposition leader since she assumed office in March, focussing on the repercussions of the pandemic on the economy and society.
President of the Hellenic Republic Katerina Sakellaropoulou with SYRIZA leader Alexis Tsipras. (Photo by Eurokinissi/ Yorgos Kontarinis)
Sakellaropoulou praised the responsible stance adopted by Greek citizens, as well as by opposition parties, in the last three months. The Greek president pointed out that Greece has now faced new challenges on an economic and social level.
She also expressed her understanding for the different political views on the handling of this unprecedented crisis, adding that different views were the very essence of democracy.
Tsipras expressed his fears that a very complex environment will arise with respect to labour relations and individual freedoms, adding that the economy’s problems will be bigger than currently estimated due to a deep recession.
The SYRIZA leader called the government’s support of enterprises insufficient and delayed, while he expressed fears that in labour relations there was the risk that certain emergency conditions will become permanent.
Addressing the president, Tsipras said that he looks forward to substantive cooperation between them. While he is aware that the president’s role and powers do not permit intervention in the actions of the executive branch, merely the highlighting of critical concerns that aims to alleviate the problems and inequalities is very crucial.
“We look forward to such a presence during your term in office,” he added.
Two boats carrying a total of 67 migrants and refugees touched down on Greek shores on the island of Lesvos late Thursday, increasing the total of migrants arriving in Greece during May to 173.
Authorities said all the migrants would be kept in quarantine for the next 14 days as part of measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19. Most of the passengers were from Afghanistan and African countries, while 16 were from Syria.
On the same day, a Greek fishing boat reported it was being harrassed by two Turkish patrol boats off the island of Oinousses in the eastern Aegean.
According to the Shipping Ministry in Athens, the Turkish coast guard vessels performed dangerous manoeuvres inside Greek territorial waters. The video released by the Hellenic Coast Guard showed a Turkish vessel circling the fishing boat.
The aim of the Turkish vessels was to drive the fishing boat away, the Greek-language daily Politis said in a report. A nearby vessel belonging to the European border force Frontex observed the incident but did not intervene.
Greek tennis star Stefanos Tsitsipas has spoken up on the Covid-19 crisis which put on hold all tennis events, saying that the planet would benefit if humanity is placed in lockdown every year.
During an Instagram Live with Eurosport, the ‘Next Gen’ Greek international made it clear he feels comfortable during the enforced competitive hiatus, stressing that now he has more time to spend with his family.
“I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year – it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet. I actually think it will be environmentally very beneficial. Life is such a hustle, and you never get the time to spend with your family and connect with them. Now it’s an opportunity to do so,” Tsitsipas said.
Speaking of his Russian and Greek heritage, Tsitsipas admitted that much of his “philosophical” thinking and creativity comes from his Greek roots.
“It takes toughness to be a professional tennis at a high level I believe – and I think that comes from my Russian part. Russians are so tough, it’s cultural. The Greek side – probably expressing myself and being so philosophical at times. It’s weird sometimes people don’t get it. The creativity I also owe to my Greek side.”
The Greek shot to international fame at the 2019 Australian Open where he managed to beat Federer on his way to the semifinal. Tsitsipas was close to reaching his first ever Grand Slam final, but was stopped by Rafael Nadal in the final four.
When asked about which match Tsitsipas would play again, Stefanos Tsitsipas reply came as no shock as he revealed he would replay his tragic defeat to Rafael Nadal.
“The match against Rafael Nadal at the Australian Open where I got chopped up. I would pick it because I was a different player then, I am more experienced now and I will carry that experience with me next time. I may not win but I will definitely put up a fight.”
Stefanos Tsitsipas lost 6-2 6-4 6-0 to Rafael Nadal at the 2019 Australian Open.