UN confirms more Cyprus talks as disagreements persist

·

The second expanded meeting on the Cyprus problem concluded in New York with limited progress and plans for further talks.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called the discussions “constructive” and confirmed that another trilateral meeting with Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar will be held during the UN General Assembly in September, followed by a broader summit after the Turkish Cypriot elections in October.

Progress was reported on four previously agreed initiatives: a bicommunal youth committee, environmental cooperation, cemetery restoration, and demining. However, no breakthroughs were made on opening new crossing points or launching a proposed solar farm in the buffer zone.

Guterres stated: “We have reached an agreement on the crossing points themselves,” though Turkish Cypriot sources disputed this, citing disagreements over proposed “transit corridors” by the Greek Cypriot side.

Christodoulides remained hopeful, saying: “We are seeing small but significant progress, step by step, towards the great goal… the resolution of the Cyprus problem.” He said the Greek Cypriot side had accepted Turkish Cypriot proposals for two new crossings but awaited a response to their own.

Tatar, however, criticised the Greek Cypriot leadership, accusing them of pursuing “property-related criminal pursuits” against Turkish Cypriots and creating fear and distrust. “These actions… are aimed at damaging our economy and our tourism,” he said.

Tatar also reiterated the Turkish Cypriot stance that formal negotiations will not resume unless their “sovereign equality and equal international status” is recognised.

Greek Foreign Minister Giorgos Gerapetritis, who was also present at the meeting, described it as “extremely productive” and stressed the need for unity: “The message of a united Cyprus is necessary today in the world, which is experiencing strife, wars, and a great level of intolerance.”

Source: Cyprus Mail

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

South Melbourne FC set for historic OFC Pro League final showdown

South Melbourne FC will contest the inaugural OFC Pro League final against Auckland FC after a 4-0 semi-final win over Vanuatu United FC.

You May Also Like

Program of the 11th International Summer University in Boston announced

The 11th International Summer University "Greek Language, Culture and Media" will take place from May 24-29 in Boston.

The Greek Australian who is making waves in Thessaloniki with her gymnastics

Hara Liokos Lazarou decided to stir up the Greeks of Thessaloniki with her energy and teach them to train outdoors.

Greek storytime children’s program expands to new libraries in Victoria

The 'Greek Storytime' children's program is expanding to new libraries in Victoria, The Pharos Working Group has announced.