Stelios Petsas: Annual Athens Polytechnic Uprising march unlikely to go ahead

·

Every year on November 17, students march through the streets to mark the anniversary of the 1973 student uprising at the Athens Polytechnic University. On this day, university students remember the inspiration they gave to thousands of Greeks to march against the Greek military junta.

According to government spokesman Stelios Petsas, however, this year’s annual march is unlikely to take place.

The spokesperson said that while the issue is a better of discussion with the other parties, he believed that in the end the march will be cancelled.

Stelios Petsas. Photo: Athina984

“If we have a ban, there is no sense in having any marches,” Petsas told private radio station Skai.

Petsas said the issuing of the new lockdown by Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, which will come into effect on Saturday morning, offered a message of unity and a call for politicians, scientists and citizens to cooperate to address the pandemic.

Last year, student protests at Athens University of Economics and Business turned violent as police fired gas and firecrackers to disperse aggravated protestors. Some students threw stones and scuffled with officers while others clapped and chanted slogans.

At the time, the Greek Prime Minister suggested that universities need to end political protesting, “mallets and molotov-cocktails”, and become a safe place of learning.

READ MORE: Tensions at Athens University rise as anniversary of ‘Athens Polytechnic Uprising’ approaches

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Feros Group to take over premier waterfront venue in Darling Harbour

The Feros Group has announced they now own and operate the iconic Helm Bar & Bistro in Sydney's Darling Harbour.

Peter Mamouzelos aims to play in Greece as rugby league grows

Peter Mamouzelos has expressed his ambition to play rugby league in Greece, a goal that has been hindered in the past due to the sport's ban.

Trust-building steps taken in Cyprus, but peace talks still elusive

Cyprus' rival leaders, Greek Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar, made some progress on Wednesday.

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

Trump targets Australia’s beef trade in new tariff announcement

Experts are warning of rising prices for American consumers as US President Donald Trump announces sweeping reciprocal tariffs.

You May Also Like

Vivian Bouzali: I am very pleased that Mytilineos is operating in Australia

Mytilineos Energy & Metals Chief Corporate Affairs & Communication Officer Vivian Bouzalis spoke about the company's investment plans.

Sydney’s Canterbury-Bankstown Children’s Festival postponed

The planned Canterbury-Bankstown Children’s Festival due to be held this weekend in Sydney has been postponed.

Stephen Fry calls for the UK to return the Parthenon Marbles to Greece

Stephen Fry has called for the UK to ‘stand on the right side of history’ and return the Parthenon Marbles to Athens from the British Museum.