Jury deliberations commence in rape trial of ex-NT Police assistant commissioner Peter Bravos

·

Mr Bravos pleaded not guilty to two counts of sexual intercourse without consent and has been on trial in the Darwin Supreme Court since July 27.

The charges relate to alleged events after a boozy emergency services ball in November 2004.

In his closing address to the jury, Crown prosecutor Nick Papas urged them to convict Mr Bravos on the two charges and accept the evidence of the complainant, The ABC reports.

“If you accept [the complainant’s] account, you can be satisfied she wasn’t consenting to sexual intercourse,” he said.

Read More: NSW police officer, James Delinicolis, charged with sexual assault, production of child abuse material

“If you accept her evidence, you’ll be able to draw a clear inference that he knew she wasn’t consenting, that she made it clear she didn’t want to have sex.”

The court was closed early in the trial while the complainant’s pre-recorded evidence was played to the jury, but parts of her evidence were read to the court during closing addresses.

“She says she wanted to call a taxi when she realised the wife and kids weren’t there,” Mr Papas said.

“She says that when they were in the pool, she refused the suggestion to go swimming naked, she says she stopped him from trying to kiss her.”

Peter Bravos, 53, is facing two charges of sexual intercourse without consent relating to alleged events in 2004.(ABC News)

It is now 16 years since the alleged event, and Mr Papas told the jury “the passage of time” could impact people’s memories, as he pointed out several inconsistencies in the evidence presented over the past two weeks.

“I say you’d probably be surprised if after all these years, and bearing in mind it was a boozy night, people did have the same memory,” he said.

“You might doubt evidence that fits in exactly if people are recounting an event that occurred in 2004 after a night in drink.”

About 30 witnesses were called to give evidence throughout the trial.

Mr Bravos did not take the stand himself, but a 2016 interview he gave during an internal inquiry into the allegations was played to the court.

The court heard he did not dispute the fact he had sex with the complainant, but maintained it was “most definitely” consensual.

In his closing address, defence barrister John Lawrence brought up earlier evidence from a witness who said she and the alleged victim discussed the size of Mr Bravos’s “member”.

“That would make you think, I guess, that’s not the kind of thing women would talk about if it were rape,” he told the jury.

Peter Bravos resigned from the NT Police and applied for Greek citizenship prior to his trial in August last year. At a bail review in the Northern Territory Supreme Court at the same time, Crown Prosecutor Tamara Grealy said Peter Bravos was a flight risk after quitting his job with NT Police in June and should surrender his passport.

“Now that he’s no longer employed, it’s a significant tie to the Northern Territory that is no longer there,” Ms Grealy said.

“He’s got connections to outside of Australia.”

The jury is expected to begin deliberations tomorrow.

Sourced By: The ABC

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Fifty years strong: Celebrating the enduring legacy of Modern Greek at Sydney University

The Department of Modern Greek at the University of Sydney marks its milestone 50th anniversary this year and to celebrate, more than 100 past...

HACCI SA celebrate one year since revival with annual Parliament House event

By Peter Tantalos The South Australian Hellenic Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (HACCI SA) commemorated the first anniversary of its revival by hosting its...

AHEPA NSW to mark 90 years of service

AHEPA NSW will mark 90 years of service to Hellenism and to Australia since the founding meeting at the northern NSW town of Werris...

Tom Koutsantonis MP gets extra portfolio in SA Cabinet reshuffle

In a recent South Australian government cabinet reshuffle, Tom Koutsantonis was given an extra portfolio following the resignation of Independent MP, Geoff Brock. According to...

Stefanos Tsitsipas knocks back Maria Sakkari’s Olympics offer for ‘dream with brother’

Greek tennis champion, Stefanos Tsitsipas has revealed that he is unlikely to play mixed doubles with his Greek compatriot, Maria Sakkari at the 2024...

You May Also Like

Victorian deputy premier says triple zero death of Nick Panagiotopoulos is ‘deeply upsetting’

Victorian deputy premier, James Merlino, has weighed in on the death of Nick Panagiotopoulos, whose desperate calls to triple zero went unanswered for 15...

NSW oyster industry devastated after recent floods

Frank Theodorou from GetFish. Picture: The Daily Telegraph/Tim Hunter

Multinational force works to tame wildfire flare-ups in Evia and near Ancient Olympia

Hundreds of firefighters from across Europe and the Mideast worked alongside their Greek colleagues in rugged terrain on Wednesday, trying to contain flareups of...