Sophie Cotsis demands action over Service NSW cyber attack which saw 3.8 million documents stolen

·

Shadow Minister for Better Public Services Sophie Cotsis is demanding the Government explain how cyber criminals were able to steal 3.8 million documents from Service NSW. 

It comes after Ms Cotsis, who has been holding the Government to account over the breach, discovered she is among the 186,000 people whose information was stolen. 

NSW Labor will use an upcoming Parliamentary Inquiry into cyber security this month to explore the extent of the problem and the lack of assistance available to those impacted. 

“I have been calling for months for the NSW Government to harden its digital systems against cyber attacks,” Ms Cotsis said.

Service NSW, Miranda.

“I was upset and shocked to find I was one of the victims of this cyber crime, however I am even more upset for the other 186,000 innocent people whose data was stolen.

“While the Government claims to be helping victims of this attack, my conversations with people’s experience was that their support services are difficult to navigate”.

READ MORE: TGH Exclusive: Sophie Cotsis on International Women’s Day, “I have a responsibility to talk about my illness”
READ MORE: Sophie Cotsis launches petition to redevelop Canterbury Hospital

The Government have said this attack occurred because Service NSW did not use multi-factor authentication for staff log-ins, which means the NSW Government has not been following guidance from the Australian Cyber Security Centre.

A report published by the Auditor-General last year indicates at least 26 NSW Government agencies may be vulnerable to this type of attack.

“The Government is responsible for safeguarding sensitive information including people’s health records, legal information and finances,” Ms Cotsis said.

“This data breach was foreseeable and preventable, but so far no one has been held accountable for failing to keep our people’s private information secure.

The first hearing into cyber security will begin on 29 October. 

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Mykonos shop owner reflects on Australia, Greece and crystals

Greek Australian, Apostolos Triantafyllou, 56, has been living in Mykonos for over 30 years now, and running his jewellery store 'Amethyst'.

Niki Louca shares her recipe for chicken pie with mushrooms

Niki Louca from My Greek Kitchen shares her favourite recipe for kotopita with manitaria (chicken pie with mushrooms) with The Greek Herald.

Dr Trakakis to give lecture in Melbourne on the late poet Tasos Leivaditis

Dr Nick Trakakis will give a seminar on Thursday, May 30 at the Greek Centre in Melbourne on the late poet Tasos Leivaditis.

Greek Australian artist VASSY receives Billions List award

Greek Australian-bred, singer, songwriter and dance music producer VASSY, has been honoured with the Billions List Award by APRA AMCOS.

Themis Chryssidis to reinvent his acclaimed Adelaide restaurant

Themis Chryssidis is transforming his acclaimed city restaurant, eleven, with a new menu and more affordable prices.

You May Also Like

Turkish Defence Minister says talks with Greece are ‘quite positive’

Turkish Defence Minister Yasar Guler has described the recent talks between Greece and Turkey as “quite positive.”

Heidelberg United FC respond to National Second Tier announcement

Heidelberg United FC has responded to Football Australia’s recent announcement of the inaugural National Second Tier Competition.

Irene Hatzipetros re-appointed Chair of Football St George

Irene Hatzipetros has been re-appointed as Chair and Executive Director of the St George Football Association.