Restraining order against Melbourne community leader Tony Tsourdalakis dropped

·

A personal intervention order placed on former President of the Cretan Federation of Australia and New Zealand (CFANZ), Tony Tsourdalakis, has been dropped by a Victorian magistrate.

This comes after a hearing for Mr Tsourdalakis’ case at the Ringwood Magistrates Court on Thursday, June 13.

Mr Tsourdalakis was first slapped with the personal intervention order in November 2023, after allegedly threatening to incite violence on former President of the Pancretan Association of Melbourne, Emanuel Starakis.

In an open letter published in The Greek Herald in July, Mr Starakis voiced concerns around the more than $30,000 in earthquake relief funds raised by the CFANZ and the Pancretan Association in 2021. Mr Starakis wrote that he wanted answers from Mr Tsourdalakis and his Board about where these funds had been allocated after it was announced they were given to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Crete.

Following the publication of this letter, Mr Tsourdalakis was arrested after Victoria Police were made aware of an alleged threat he made against Mr Starakis.

No criminal charges were laid but legal proceedings were launched for a personal safety intervention order.

Tony tsourdalakis restraining order cretan president
Tony Tsourdalakis.

During the first court case on Thursday, November 16, Mr Starakis told the Magistrates Court via video link that Mr Tsourdalakis had reportedly sent a text message to a mutual friend which was perceived as threatening.

“The friend was asked to go find someone who Mr Tsourdalakis could pay, and I’m quoting verbatim, ‘who I can pay to break Starakis’ arms and legs’,” Mr Starakis told the court.

Mr Tsourdalakis’ lawyer said “there was no immediacy” with respect to an intervention order because there were no prior issues between the pair and Mr Tsourdalakis was “well-regarded” within Melbourne’s Greek community, so the threat “was likely never to happen again.”

Besides being the former President of the CFANZ, Mr Tsourdalakis is also a Director at St Basil’s Homes for the Aged in Victoria; Board Member at AGAPI Care; President of the Inter-communities Council of Victoria; Member of the Board of Directors of “Aetolian College”; Chairman of the Victorian 2021 Bicentenary Committee; and former Chairman of the Victorian Council for Greek National Day.

In response, the Judge said even though the alleged threat had been made to a mutual friend and not Mr Starakis, the threat had still been made and it was an immediate cause for concern.

When handing down his interim order at the time, the Judge said Mr Tsourdalakis could not have any contact with Mr Starakis and could not be within 200 metres of where he lives or works. He also needed to remain within 5 metres of him.

Mr Tsourdalakis’ lawyer argued that in instances where Mr Tsourdalakis and Mr Starakis attended events of mutual interest within the Greek and Cretan community, the 5 metre restriction was not acceptable. The Judge said in those instances, the restriction would be reduced to 2 metres.

These orders were later extended until Thursday, June 13, when Mr Tsourdalakis’ case appeared before the court again and the intervention order was dropped.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Peter Papathanasiou set to release new book in his outback noir series

On August 17 this year, the third book 'The Pit' in Peter Papathanasiou’s outback noir series is set to be released.

Two killed as Cyprus wildfires devastate Limassol region

Two people have died and dozens have been injured in massive wildfires sweeping through the Limassol district of Cyprus.

St Nectarios Burwood in final stages of extensive restoration works

St Nectarios Burwood is in the final stages of extensive restoration works by fixing the slate roof at the entrance to the church.