Prosecutors call for harsher sentence for Frankie Prineas’ killer

·

ACT prosecutors are calling for an increased sentence for convicted Canberra murderer, Jayscen Newby, who stabbed Frankie Prineas to death in 2020, ABC News reports.

Newby was sentenced to 20 years in jail and a 10-year non-parole period after stabbing Prineas to death while he was on a Tinder date with a woman Newby had known.

READ MORE: Alleged Charnwood murder victim named as Frankie Victor Prineas.

The crime scene in Canberra.

At the time of Newby’s trial last year, ACT Chief Justice Helen Murrell described the murder scene, at a home in Charnwood in Canberra’s north, as a “bloodbath.”

After the judgement was handed down, Prineas’ family said Newby’s jail term was not long enough and they were in “total dismay.”

“We knew we weren’t going to get justice; we knew it wasn’t going to be great, but we didn’t expect it to be so bad,” Prineas’ dad, Victor, said last year.

READ MORE: ‘Absolutely stunned’: Family react to 20 year sentence for murder of Frankie Prineas.

Frankie’s father Victor Prineas, aunt Angela and brother Peter. Photo: ABC News/Mark Moore.

‘Mutilated an innocent person’:

Today, the ACT Court of Appeal heard that the case against Newby was overwhelming, with an eye witness and DNA evidence.

ACT Director of Public Prosecutions, Shane Drumgold, told the court that Newby was given too large a discount on his sentence for his plea of guilty and cooperation in the court process.

According to ABC News, Drumgold told the court Newby had not shown remorse and his sentence should reflect the seriousness of the crime he committed.

Jayscen Anthony Newby. Picture: Instagram.

“He mutilated an innocent person to terrify his domestic partner,” he said. “It was an assertion of dominance.”

Newby’s lawyer, David Campbell, told the court even if it accepted the sentence was inadequate, any changes would only amount to “tinkering.”

The court has reserved its decision.

READ MORE: Man faces court after pleading guilty to murdering Greek Australian Frankie Prineas.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Paramedic Steven Gelagotis on how COVID-19 presents new challenges for frontline workers

Ambulance Victoria paramedic Steven Gelagotis says the COVID-19 pandemic has brought on new challenges for paramedics.

Federal Court finds Greek Flash News publisher defamed Archbishop Makarios

The Federal Court has awarded $300,000 in damages to Archbishop Makarios after finding online articles defamatory.

Pan Macedonian Federation of SA Greek Women’s Association celebrates 30th anniversary

One of Pan Macedonian Federation of SA's six societies, the Greek Women's Cultural Association, Vergina, celebrated their 30th anniversary.