The ACT’s Chief Justice sentenced Jayscen Anthony Newby on Wednesday to 20 years jail, with a non-parole period of ten years, for the brutal Tinder date murder of Canberra man, Frankie Prineas.
After the judgment was handed down, the family of Mr Prineas, who were standing outside the ACT Supreme Court, said Newby’s jail term was not long enough and they were in “total dismay.”
Killer ‘laughed’ at news article of murder:
In January last year, Newby, 27, stabbed Prineas 37 times, including in the heart. Chief Justice Helen Murrell described the crime scene as a “bloodbath.”
Mr Prineas was killed at a house in Charnwood in Canberra’s north, while on a Tinder date with a woman Newby had previously dated. It was the first time the two had met.
Newby let himself into the home and attacked Mr Prineas when he discovered the pair in bed. The court heard the distressed triple-0 call made by the woman immediately after the attack.
“I think he’s dying, can someone come… he was attacked with a knife,” the caller said.
“I can’t look,” she said, when being asked to put pressure on the wounds. “His arm is like, open.”
Chief Justice Murrell refused to allow images of the scene to be shown in court, citing concerns about trauma for staff and others present.
During the sentencing on Wednesday, the court also heard that in a conversation with his mother from Canberra’s jail, Newby laughed as she read an ABC story to him about the killing.
When she asked why he was laughing he said: “because it was hilarious.”
Newby’s lawyer, Beth Morrisroe, told the court it could not form the view there was no remorse, and noted he had pleaded guilty, avoiding a trial. But Chief Justice Murrell disagreed.
“I can’t see any substantial indication of remorse,” she said, noting Newby’s laughter at the news article “demonstrates the offenders lack of insight and emotional maturity.”
Family in ‘complete shock’ after sentence:
Outside court, Mr Prineas’s father Victor said today’s sentence had left the family in “complete shock.”
“We knew we weren’t going to get justice; we knew it wasn’t going to be great, but we didn’t expect it to be so bad,” Mr Prineas said.
“In nine years, [Newby] will be out and back into our community and hopefully with a bit of luck he won’t do the same thing he did to my son.”
Mr Prineas said the process had been “harrowing” and “disturbing,” and had left the family feeling as though a longer jail term was warranted.
“It was heartbreaking – the evidence that was shown,” Mr Prineas said.
“The triple-0 call was horrifying, the video that he had of the crime scene was horrific – the whole thing was absolutely horrific and this was the outcome: 10 years. We are absolutely stunned.”
Mr Prineas said his son was “a jewel in a crown.”
“He was cheeky, handsome, respectful, loved by all, he was one-in-a-billion, you don’t get children like that,” Mr Prineas said outside court.
When the sentence was read, members of Mr Prineas’ family did a slow clap in the public gallery, with one saying “have a nice life my friend” as Newby was led away.
Newby did not respond. He will be eligible for parole in 2030.
Source: ABC News.