NSW Premier pledges to promote more women to Cabinet

·

During his National Press Club address on Wednesday, the NSW Premier, Dominic Perrottet, promised to promote more women in his cabinet reshuffle.

Among those tipped for a potential promotion are Member for Miranda, Eleni Petinos, Member for North Shore, Felicity Wilson, and National MP, Steph Cook.

In his address, Mr Perrottet said the Liberal Party had not “done a great job” of encouraging women to run for parliament so far, but more female representation would improve diversity and result in better public policy development.

Among those tipped for a potential promotion are Member for Miranda, Eleni Petinos.

“We’ve been led previously by the first elected female premier of our state, so it’s not all bad. But there is more to do,” he said.

“I’ve committed to increasing female representation in the cabinet. I won’t put a figure on it, but we will see an increase.”

Dominic Perrottet addresses the National Press Club on Wednesday. Picture: AAP Image/Mick Tsikas.

Currently there are only two Liberal women in the Cabinet – Sports Minister Natalie Ward and Local Government Minister Shelley Hancock.

There are also three female National party members – Education Minister Sarah Mitchell, Mental Health Minister Bronnie Taylor and Water and Housing Minister Melinda Pavey.

The Premier is expected to name his new cabinet within weeks, more than two months after his promotion to the top job.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Maria Sakkari charges into the French Open second round

Maria Sakkari booked a spot in the second round of Roland Garros for the fifth consecutive year after a straight-sets win over Clara Burel.

10 best beaches to visit in Greece this summer

Greece is home to some of the worlds best beaches known for crystal blue waters, beach coves and lively sea side restaurants and taverns.

Aegean Airlines responds to complaints from customers over flight tickets

In a statement released today by the CEO of Aegean Airlines, the confusion around flight rescheduling and cancellations has been clarified to some degree.