NSW Taxi Council responds to proposed $1 billion compensation package for licence owners

·

The NSW Taxi Council has welcomed a proposed $1 billion package to give licence owners six figure payments to compensate for the impact of the introduction of Uber into the ride-share industry.

According to The Daily Telegraph, the CEO of the Council, Martin Rogers, said this proposal was “a large increase” from the $50,000 suggested by the Government last year, but he still wants to see more details of the proposal.

READ MORE: $1 billion package proposed by NSW Government to compensate taxi licence owners.

The new proposal by the NSW Government could see compensation payments for NSW taxi licence owners increase from $20,000 to $200,000.

The increased payments would be funded by an extension to the $1 passenger service levy, currently applied to every trip in a taxi or ride-sharing car.

READ MORE: Momentum grows as Greek taxi licence owners in NSW continue to fight for fair compensation.

“I’d like to think that passengers would appreciate the need to support those small business owners that through no fault of their own lost their value because of the change in the government regulations,” Mr Rogers told The Daily Telegraph.

The $1 billion package, developed in consultation with the industry, will be considered by Cabinet’s powerful expenditure review committee.

READ MORE: Greek community rallies against proposed taxi licence reforms in NSW.

Source: The Daily Telegraph.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

Turkey challenges Greek offshore energy plans south of Crete

Turkey has objected to Greece’s approval of offshore energy exploration south of Crete, calling the move a violation of international law.

You May Also Like

Greek PM Mitsotakis urges de-escalation and ceasefire in call with Israeli PM

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis held a phone call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Saturday.

Mitsotakis reassures citizens of Greece’s plan to have Covid-19 vaccine by end of December

Kyriakos Mitsotakis reiterated his promise to citizens that, should the vaccine pass stage four trials, it will arrive in Greece at end 2020.

Apostolos Stamatelopoulos debuts as Socceroos defeat Palestine

Socceroos manager, Graham Arnold made his first substitution during Tuesday's 5-0 win over Palestine by debuting Apostolos Stamatelopoulos.