Greek PM tells Turkey to ‘let threats go’ and begin dialogue

·

Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said on Friday Greece would start talks with Turkey to resolve conflicting claims over maritime boundaries in the Eastern Mediterranean once Turkish “provocations” ceased.

Tensions escalated last month after Turkey dispatched a seismic survey vessel to a disputed area for energy exploration following a maritime deal between Greece and Egypt. Turkey says the pact infringes on its own continental shelf.

READ MORE: Turkey announces Russia will hold live-fire exercises in Mediterranean
READ MORE: Turkey says US decision to end Cyprus arms embargo is ‘poison to the region’

“(Our country) can and wants to discuss the demarcation of maritimes zones in the Aegean Sea, in the eastern Mediterranean, based on international law. But not under threats,” Mitsotakis said during a meeting with China’s top diplomat Yang Jiechi who is visiting Athens. “Let the threats go for talks to begin.

“Once the provocations end, discussions will begin,” he said, adding that Greece’s foreign minister would deliver a letter from him outlining Athens’ case to U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres when the two meet in New York on Friday.

Photo: EPA-EFE/KOSTAS TSIRONIS

Mitsotakis spoke a day after NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said that Greece and Turkey, both members of the Western alliance, had agreed to talks to avoid accidental clashes in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Turkey said it supported NATO’s initiative and that the talks were not about solving bilateral problems but about measures so far handled by the two countries’ militaries. It added that it expected Greece to do the same.

Commenting on NATO’s announcement on Thursday, Greek diplomats said a condition for dialogue was that Turkey de-escalated its activity in the region.

Sourced By: Reuters

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Greek Community of Melbourne releases bushfire fundraising statement

The Greek Community of Melbourne have expressed their concern for the Australian bushfires and will be announcing specific fundraising actions in the coming days. They...

Greece to buy French warships in multibillion-euro defence deal

France and Greece on Tuesday announced a defense deal worth around 3 billion euros, including Athens’ decision to buy three French warships.

Greece anticipates grants of at least 8-10 billion euros from French-German recovery plan

The Greek government is expecting a growth boost of 1.5-2% of gross domestic product for the next three years through the EU Recovery Fund.