Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia suspends Father Leslie from Leichhardt

·

The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia has placed Father Leslie Kostoglou from St Gerasimos Greek Orthodox Church in Leichhardt, Sydney on “ecclesiastical suspension,” according to a statement released on Wednesday.

In the statement, the Archdiocese said the ecclesiastical suspension will be reviewed once Father Leslie “returns to the treasury of the Parish of St Gerasimos in Sydney, the money he has embezzled or there is a relevant settlement with the Board of Directors of the Parish.”

This allegation of misappropriating funds comes as The Greek Herald first reported last week that the Parish committee were considering a proposal to move Father Leslie to St Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church at St Marys.

Parishioners at St Gerasimos launched a petition at the time, calling on the committee “to reconsider” their proposal to move Father Leslie.

The petition said that whilst parishioners “understand that the committee may have valid reasons for wanting to move Father Leslie to St Marys,” their proposal would be “detrimental” to the Leichhardt community and parish.

“Father Leslie is not just a priest, but a friend, mentor, and spiritual leader to us. His departure would leave a void that would be difficult to fill,” the petition said.

So far, the petition has received close to 5,000 signatures.

The Archdiocese’s latest announcement on Facebook received multiple comments from angered Greek community members. They were voicing their disappointment at the suspension of Father Leslie, and said it was inappropriate to make public allegations of embezzlement prior to a proper investigation.

The Archdiocese has since limited who can comment on the post.

This latest suspension comes as the Archdiocese also suspended Father Eleftherios Tatsis (Papa Lefteris) from Red Hill, Victoria in October 2022. Papa Lefteris has since been defrocked by decision of the Ecumenical Patriarchate due to “a series of ecclesiastical and canonical offenses he committed.”

*The Greek Herald has reached out to Father Leslie for comment.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

Thanasi Kokkinakis delights fans in Adelaide International opener

Thanasi Kokkinakis began his Adelaide International campaign with a hard-fought victory, defeating Yoshihito Nishioka 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.

Olympiacos youth team make history at UEFA Youth League

The Olympiacos youth team made history on Tuesday, qualifying for the semi-finals of the UEFA Youth League after defeating Bayern Munich.

Greek Community of Melbourne bids farewell to Nick Andrianakos

The Greek Community of Melbourne has issued a statement following the death of Greek Australian billionaire, Nick Andrianakos.