Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia suspends Father Eleftherios Tatsis

·

The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia has placed Father Eleftherios Tatsis (Papa Lefteris) on suspension, according to a statement released today.

In the statement, the Archdiocese confirmed Papa Lefteris has been “dismissed from his duties” on October 5 and “from this point forth, every service and every sacrament that possibly may be performed by the said clergyman does not have validity” and is not recognised by the Archdiocese.

This statement comes as Fr Eleftherios (Papa Lefteris), who was the parish priest at the Holy Monastery of Panagia Kamariani in Red Hill, Victoria, announced his resignation from the Archdiocese on Sunday, October 2.

Papa Lefteris. Photo: Andrew Batsch.

“It is my last night here. From tomorrow a new priest arrives and I hope he is… able to work with the youth here, who I love and continue to live for,” Papa Lefteris said at the time.

Fr Eleftherios resigned after the Archdiocese issued a statement last month expressing its disapproval of the priest for his “belligerent rhetoric” towards the church and Archbishop Makarios.

On Tuesday night, the Victorian Bishops and Clergy of the Archdiocese also issued an announcement regarding the priest and expressed their continued support of Archbishop Makarios.

READ MORE: Red Hill priest resigns from Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia.

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

Melbourne seminar to focus on the demise of tobacco tycoon Peter Michelides

The lecture will look at the demise of the Tobacco Tycoon Peter Michelides and its impact on globalisation.

Michalis Protopsaltis awarded for saving 80 refugees in the Kythera shipwreck

Michalis Protopsaltis, was honored in Athens for his invaluable efforts in saving the lives of the 80 refugees during the Kythera shipwreck

Archbishop Makarios’ message for the World Day on the Rights of the Child

The 20th day of November has been assigned as World Day for the Rights of the Child.