Greece to enforce social media ban for under-15s from 2027

·

Greece are the latest European country to restrict children’s exposure to online platforms with their recent announcement to ban social media access for under-15s. The restriction will be implemented from January 2027.

Greece’s Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis reasoned that the move was aimed at dealing with rising anxiety and sleep issues among young people. He said he had spoken with parents who said their children do not sleep well, are anxious and are always on their phones.

In an Instagram video, he said, “Many young people tell me they feel exhausted from comparisons, from comments, from the pressure to always be online.” He has acknowledged the restriction will be “difficult but necessary.”

Mitsotakis clarified that this ban in no way aims to distance young people from technology, which he thinks can be a source of “inspiration, knowledge and creativity,” but will combat the “addictive design of certain applications,” and how the “business model [is] based on capturing your attention… takes away your innocence and your freedom.”

“This has to stop somewhere,” he declared.

In December last year, Australia became the first country in the world to require TikTok, YouTube, Snapchat and other top sites to remove accounts held by under-16s or they would face heavy fines.

Social media companies argue that blanket bans would be ineffective, difficult to enforce and could isolate vulnerable teenagers. Reddit is challenging Australia’s law in court.

Mitsotakis said Greece will seek EU-level action to protect minors online, urging a common framework to “complement and reinforce the necessary national initiatives for the protection of minors.” His proposals include mandatory age checks for under-15s, a Europe-wide ban for that age group, and requiring platforms to verify users’ ages every six months.

Further details of the framework to enforce the ban will be outlined on Wednesday next week.

Source: BBC

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Greece recommends COVID-19 vaccination for children aged 12-15

Greece said on Monday children aged 12-15 could be vaccinated against COVID-19 with Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna shots.

Rhodes wildfires prompt Greece’s largest ever evacuation operation

Thousands of people have been evacuated as wildfires threatened homes and hotels on the Greek island of Rhodes.

Prime Minister Mitsotakis calls for solidarity between Greek regional leaders on refugee crisis

"We are not exaggerating the problem, but we are not underestimating it at all," Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said demandingly in a meeting with...