Angela Antartis awaits sentencing for violent hostage attack in Adelaide

·

Angela Antartis, 26, is awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to her role in a brutal hostage attack in January 2023.

Along with Zoran Aligrudic, 44, Antartis forcibly detained a man at a carport in Kilkenny, subjecting him to a violent and dehumanising assault while both were under the influence of methamphetamine.

In his victim impact statement, the victim described the ordeal as the “worst events of his 25 years of life,” leaving him with nightmares and severe anxiety.

“I am scarred from their actions both physically and mentally,” he said.

The District Court was told the attack involved prolonged physical abuse, including forcing the victim to strip naked and cutting off parts of his hair and beard.

The incident was driven by the duo’s belief that the victim had been charged with and pleaded guilty to indecent assault.

During the attack, they also made phone calls to the victim’s accuser, forcing him to apologise.

Antartis, from Woodville North, pleaded guilty to false imprisonment and multiple counts of assault.

Her co-defendant, Aligrudic, also pleaded guilty to drug trafficking and firearm possession. His lawyer explained that the offending was impulsive, driven by methamphetamine use following the breakdown of his marriage.

Antartis’ counsel highlighted her history of childhood trauma, which contributed to her methamphetamine addiction and criminal behaviour.

While in custody, Antartis is seeking drug rehabilitation programs and hopes to start anew upon release.

Judge Rauf Soulio will deliver sentencing for the two defendants next month.

Source: The Advertiser.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Dr Hatzidimitriou to give talk in Australia on Eleftherios Venizelos’ role in Asia Minor Campaign

Dr. Constantinos Hatzidimitriou will give his first seminar on the role of Eleftherios Venizelos, in the Asia Minor Campaign on October 23.

NSW Labor calls for COVID-19 booking app for pop-up clinics

NSW Labor has called on the Government to develop a dedicated phone app for COVID-19 test bookings to help tackle lengthy queues at drive-through clinics.

Holy Communion left unchanged in Greek Orthodox Church despite coronavirus fears

Contrary to science, the Greek Orthodox Church insists it is impossible for any disease - including coronavirus - to be transmitted through Holy Communion.