HomeNewsAustraliaSt Basil’s operators made to give evidence at inquest into COVID deaths

St Basil’s operators made to give evidence at inquest into COVID deaths

Author

Date

Category

The operators of the St Basil’s nursing home in Fawkner must testify at an inquest into the deaths of the home’s residents last year.

Kon Kontis and Vicki Kos first requested to be excused from giving evidence last week on the grounds they might incriminate themselves.

They fronted the Victorian Coroners Court on Wednesday only for state Coroner John Cain to reject their requests.

Cain required both of them to give evidence but provided them with a certificate that means nothing they say at the inquest can be used against them unless it is false information.

Mr. Kontis and Ms. Kos were running the home in July last year when a COVID-19 outbreak led to the deaths of 45 residents.

Last week, a woman whose mother died from COVID-19 after living at St Basil’s told the inquest excusing the pair would be a “slap in the face”.

“What transpired should never have happened,” Helen Karikas, whose mother Vicky Patsakos died in August 2020 after she got COVID-19, said.

“The evidence has demonstrated how many opportunities were missed to prevent this tragedy.”

“I’m calling on you now – please do not allow Vicki Kos and Kon Kontis to be excused from giving evidence.”

Source: Mandurah Mail

Recent posts

Recent comments