Million-dollar reward offered to solve murder of missing Melbourne man, Nick Falos

·

A $1 million reward is on offer to help solve the suspicious disappearance of a Melbourne man believed to have been murdered more than 18 years ago, Nine News reports.

Nick Falos, then aged 55, was last seen on March 14, 2003 at about 8.30am as he drove his red Porsche along Albion Street in Brunswick.

His Porsche coupe with registration JD 944 was found burnt out in the Yarra State Forest at the intersection of Mt Beenak Road and Torbetts Road, near Gladysdale, three days later.

Mr Falos, who also went by the name Nikolaos Falieros, was reported missing on April 1 by a concerned neighbour who hadn’t seen him for several weeks.

Police searched bushland near Gladysdale in May that year but found no trace of Mr Falos.

Police have searched through bushland over the years as part of the investigation into missing man Nick Falos. Photo: Nine.

Police are investigating a number of lines of inquiry including a phone call made from a payphone to Mr Falos on the morning of Saturday, March 15, 2003.

Detective Acting Inspector Tony Combridge of the Missing Persons Squad said police believe Mr Falos was murdered.

“It may be 18 years since Nick disappeared, however, I would like to strongly reinforce to the community that this is very much an active investigation,” he said in a statement on Wednesday.

“While Nick is no longer believed to be alive, we are still hopeful of finding out what happened to him.

“It is also our belief that a number of people were potentially involved in Nick’s murder.”

Falos’ Porsche was found burnt out in the Yarra State Forest three days after he was last seen in Brunswick. Photo: Victoria Police.

In 2018, a 77-year-old Endeavour Hills man and an 84-year-old Devon Meadows man were arrested in relation to his disappearance. Both were later released without charge, 7 News reports.

Detective Acting Inspector Combridge said police believe there are multiple people out there who could assist with the investigation. Police are keen to speak to anyone who recalls seeing Mr Falos or his red Porsche in the Yarra Junction area on March 15 or 16 in 2003.

“There is the possibility that the person or persons responsible for his death may have spoken to someone about Nick and today’s reward announcement may lead to them finally coming forward with information,” Mr Combridge said.

Police are asking for anyone with information to come forward.

“People’s circumstances can change over the years and someone who may not have wanted to provide information to police previously may now feel ready to do so.”

Investigators have released photos of Mr Falos and a vehicle similar to his Porsche in the hope that someone will remember seeing him or the car.

A reward of up to $1 million will be paid at the discretion of the Chief Commissioner of Police for information leading to the apprehension and subsequent conviction of the person or persons responsible for Mr Falos’ death.

Anyone with information about the disappearance of Nick Falos is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Kytherian George Alfieris: ‘Boomeranging’ between Greece and Australia for over a century

George Alfieris' migration story was included in the 'Mile in My Shoes' exhibition that was held at the Australian National Maritime Museum.

Iconic Greek-inspired ‘wedding cake’ mansion in Seaforth goes to auction

The “wedding cake house” has hit the market for the first time since it was built in the 1980s, carrying a price guide of $9 million.

Adelaide Dr John Svigos’ lifelong mission to improve birth outcomes in Bali

A chance walk during a 1998 holiday in Bali by Associate Professor John Svigos AM led to a life-saving partnership.