John Barilaro resigns as NSW Deputy Premier

·

NSW Deputy Premier, John Barilaro, has announced he will step down as Nationals leader and resign from parliament.

“I have decided now is the right time for me to hand the reins over to new leadership, and resign as Deputy Premier of NSW,” he said in a media statement.

His announcement means there will be a by-election in the seat of Monaro.

It comes one day after Transport Minister Andrew Constance resigned, triggering a by-election for his seat of Bega.

On Friday, Gladys Berejiklian resigned as Premier and from parliament, which will trigger another by-election in her seat of Willoughby.

John Barilaro resigns as NSW Deputy Premier.

Mr Barilaro says he will call a party room meeting for this Wednesday where he will formally resign as the NSW Nationals Leader and call for a ballot to find a replacement.

In 2016, Mr Barilaro was elected leader of the NSW Nationals and Deputy Premier of NSW. He is currently Minister for Regional NSW, Industry and Trade.

He says he has worked with three of the Liberals’ “hardest working Premiers”; Barry O’Farrell, Mike Baird and Ms Berejiklian.

Last year, Mr Barilaro took time off after a month of mental health leave and admitted he thought he was “never coming back”.

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Greek Australian MPs commemorate the bravery of Greeks on OXI Day

Greek Australian politicians have released messages of respect and gratitude to mark the 80th anniversary of OXI Day today.

Two Afghan youths sentenced to five years jail for causing catastrophic Moria fire

Two Afghan youths were handed down five year prison sentences in court on Wednesday for starting a fire that burnt down the Moria refugee camp on the Greek island of Lesvos.

First-home buyers secure Earlwood property while holidaying in Mykonos

A first-home buyer couple successfully purchased a five-bedroom house in Earlwood for $2,871,000 while holidaying in Mykonos.