Business Sydney executive director Paul Nicolaou on why shops remain closed despite the end of lockdown

·

Businesses are blaming a lack of office workers and commuters for a rocky reopening more than two weeks since lockdown ended. 

Paul Nicolaou says it has a rippling effect on the businesses that depend on staying open.

“With foot traffic still below 10 percent in city streets and malls, it’s going to be a hard battle for businesses that are still trading to stay open,” he said.

The Sydney CBD and North Sydney are most visibly hit by store and office closures.

A number of stores in the MetCentre closed last week and boarded-up shopfronts riddle the North Sydney CBD.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Australian cricketer Peter Hatzoglou signs short-term deal with British club

Greek-Australian cricketer Peter Hatzoglou, has signed for Glamorgan after the departure of compatriot Michael Neser.

Bomb explodes in Greek Cypriot football referee’s car

A bomb went off inside a car belonging to a Greek Cypriot referee on Jan. 17, just two days after the Greek Cyprus Football Association was notified of possible match-fixing.

Greek fans evicted from Australian Open following Maria Sakkari victory

Police say up to 20 people were ejected from the Australian Open for disruptive behaviour. The group of men were supporting Greek player Maria Sakkari in a late afternoon match on Court 8 against Nao Hibino of Japan.