Dr Antony Mersiades to lead world-first cannabis trial for cancer patients

·

Dr Antony Mersiades will be leading the Northern Beaches Hospital’s revolutionary trial to see if medicinal cannabis can help prevent nausea or sickness in patients undergoing chemotherapy.

According to The Daily Telegraph, around 250 patients will be part of the Australian-wide study, with up to 10 of those being from the Frenchs Forest facility.

“This is the first cancer clinical trial at Northern Beaches Hospital using an investigative product,” Dr Antony Mersiades, medical oncologist and head of oncology services, said.

“It is a top level study to ask a question as to whether it works.

“It is huge for the hospital and very exciting.”

Dr Antony Mersiades and patient Marion McGowan at the Northern Beaches Hospital in Frenchs Forest. Picture: Christian Gilles/The Daily Telegraph

The hospital will be involved in the stage three component of the trial which will see patients who suffer severe nausea or sickness due to chemotherapy treatment, take either the oral cannabinoid medicine THC and CBD or a placebo.

Dr Mersiades said preliminary results from the NSW Government-funded trial, sponsored by the University of Sydney, showed the cannabis capsules had a significant improvement in nausea and vomiting in people undergoing chemotherapy.

A quarter of the patients taking medicinal cannabis experienced no vomiting and nausea, compared to 14 per cent of people who took a placebo.

Dr Mersiades said the earlier studies found that one in five who took medicinal cannabis had moderate to severe sedation and one in 10 reported dizziness, but that the reduction in sickness was a clear benefit.

Cancer patient Marion McGowan, 62, of Collaroy Plateau, has been having chemotherapy for six months. She said Dr Mersiades and the team had been fantastic during her cancer journey.

“Their unwavering support and encouragement is second to none, and I feel truly blessed to have had them all in my life over the last few months,” she said.

Source: Daily Telegraph

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Kikilias: “Greece’s New GNTO Melbourne office will Boost Ties with Diaspora”

Kikilias' words, reiterated the will of the Greek government to proceed to this significant move and hilighted the impact of it.

Greek language students recognised for excellence at University of Sydney

The Greek Herald spoke with a few of the recipients from the University of Sydney's School of Languages and Cultures Award Ceremony.

Victorian Labor Government pledges $800,000 to Melbourne’s Antipodes Festival

The Victorian Government has pledged $800,000 over the next four years to continue Melbourne's Antipodes Festival.