AFL ‘Rising Star’ nominee Mitch Georgiades says he’s found new home at Port Adelaide

·

Port Adelaide forward Mitch Georgiades revealed his intention to stay at Port Adelaide for the foreseeable future as the he picked up his second NAB AFL Rising Star nomination last weekend.

Georgiades, who was nominated in round nine last year, received the round five honour after his three-goal performance against Carlton on Saturday night. 

In his 11th senior game, the 19-year-old also gathered a career-high 15 disposals and took five marks in his side’s 28-point win over the Blues.

In a media appearance on Tuesday, Georgiades said he has no intention to go back to his home town in Western Australia.

Mitch Georgiades during his media appearance. Photo: Josh Money/Twitter

“It was the best thing for me to get out of Perth and experience life elsewhere. Port Adelaide is home for me,” Georgiades said.

“All the boys and staff, the whole community, have made me feel welcome and I have loved every minute of it.”

READ MORE: Mitch Georgiades shines for Port Adelaide as the Greek helps Power reach top-four

Asked if he was now Port Adelaide “through and through”, Mitch replied: “absolutely.”

Reporter: “No temptation to ever head back [to WA]?”

Mitch: “Nup. I fit in so well between living with Ryan Burton, absolutely love it there… I’m no prospect to go home.”

The Greek Australian was praised by Melbourne champion Garry Lyon on the weekend for his great score involvements, as well as hits points on the board.

“He takes his opportunities … it’s a really good body of work for a second key forward,” Lyon said on Fox Footy.

“As important for me is he‘s playing on Liam Jones, who’s been in absolutely incredible form as a defender. Liam Jones has had two possessions.

“He‘s been having 15 and 13 intercepts over the last couple of weeks; he’s got his hands full with Georgiades, which speaks to me of a player who’s moving really well, who’s moving his defender around, he’s not static or an easy target.

Georgiades is signed with Port Adelaide until the end of 2023.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Andy Ferrara named among Adelaide’s young chefs shaping the future of dining

Adelaide’s emerging culinary stars are making waves across South Australia’s best restaurants. Among those recognised is Andy Ferrara.

Greece ranks second worldwide for Blue Flag beaches

Greece has once again secured its place among the world’s top beach destinations, ranking second globally with 624 Blue Flag beaches.

You May Also Like

Hit stage show ‘The Life of Byron’ returns to Melbourne

Following successful seasons in Melbourne and Sydney, the hit Australian theatre production 'The Life of Byron' returns for a limited season.

New Greek ID system: What the ‘Personal Number’ means for Greeks in Australia

The Greek government officially launched the 'Personal Number' on June 3, 2025. What does it mean for Greeks in Australia?

Mitsotakis confirms Greek support for Ukraine as Joint Declarations signed in Athens

Eleven Balkan leaders including Greece issued the Athens Declaration statement after an informal dinner held by Kyriakos Mitsotaki on Monday.