‘It’s a mistake’: Victorian Opposition Leader on La Trobe’s attempt to discontinue Greek Studies

·

In a statement sent to The Greek Herald, the Victorian Opposition Leader, Michael O’Brien has expressed his concern that La Trobe university’s attempt to discontinue Modern Greek Studies is a ‘mistake.’

“I am concerned that La Trobe University has announced it will cease its Modern Greek studies course,” Mr O’Brien says in the statement.

“I believe this is a mistake for Victoria with its very significant Greek community and noting the enormous contribution to Melbourne, in particular, of the Greek diaspora.”

READ MORE: Federal MPs express disappointment over La Trobe’s proposal to cut Greek Studies.

The Opposition leader goes on to say that according to the Victorian Government’s Languages Provision in Victorian Government Schools, 2019 report, 5,454 students were enrolled to study Greek across more than 30 accredited community language schools last year.

“This was the second largest community language school enrolment in Victoria,” Mr O’Brien says.

“Given Victoria’s significant population of people with Greek background – and our deserved pride in being Australia’s multicultural capital – the retention of this course is important.

“Those with a Greek heritage should have the opportunity to study a language of cultural significance to them.”

READ MORE: Archbishop Makarios urges La Trobe to reconsider intention to terminate Greek Studies Program.

Full statement below:

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Conquest unveils $900 million plan for former Cyprus Club site at Stanmore

Conquest has lodged plans for a $900m retail and residential precinct on the site of the former Cyprus Community of NSW Club in Stanmore.

Athens braces for more snowfall as severe weather front continues

Athens is bracing for more snowfall as the severe weather system 'Barbara' that hit Greece on Sunday continues to rage across the city.

Chris Theodosi and Jesse Orleans’ ‘Happyfield’ named Australia’s Cafe of the Year

The Good Food Guide has released its best hospitality venues for 2024, announcing Happyfield Cafe in Sydney as the Café of the Year.