Altar at St Dimitrios Greek Orthodox Church in Beirut survived the explosion [VIDEO]

·

St Dimitrios Greek Orthodox Church in Achrafieh is less than a kilometre away from where the Beirut explosion took place.

Father Youil Nassif rushed to the church to check for damage, finding the nave completely ruined. But the sacred altar space, protected by the “iconostasis” (wall of icons), was almost unscathed – including an oil lamp that had remained lit throughout the blast.

“You can call me naive but I felt it was unbelievable. I felt it was a message from God saying, ‘I will be by your side, we will rise up,” Father Nassif said in an interview with BBC News.

Father Nassif says he left the church with his children 12 minutes before the explosion, but when he returned he was shocked by what he found.

“The altar was untouched. The holy chalice was in tact. You can see the Holy Bible, you can see the oil lamp that didn’t move… even the glass was not broken,” he says.

“In times of crisis we search for signs, we search for a light in the darkness. I felt as if this was a sign.”

Father Nassif concluded by asking people to “just pray” for the people of Lebanon as they deal with the aftermath of the horrific explosion which killed more than 150 people.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Fresco of Helen of Troy uncovered at Pompeii

Nearly 2,000 years since it was buried by volcanic rubble, the lost city of Pompeii is yielding even more impressive discoveries. According to msn.com, archeologists...

New casual Greek restaurant brings meze and cocktails to Adelaide’s CBD

Andrew Papadakis, the visionary who founded and successfully sold Meze Mazi, returns to the vibrant Adelaide restaurant scene with his newest venture, Dino’s. According to...

Two Greek women included in ’30 Under 30′ Forbes list

In this year's European Forbes "30 Under 30" list, two exceptional Greek women have managed to stand out for their successful paths in two...

2,300-year-old tomb unearthed in Greece

A tomb in the ancient Macedonian city of Aegae in modern Vergina, Greece, has been unearthed according to an All That’s Interesting report. The tomb is believed...

Yorgos Lanthimos’ new movie ‘Kinds of Kindness’ included in Cannes lineup

New films from Yorgos Lanthimos, Andrea Arnold and Francis Ford Coppola, as well as a portrait of 1980s Donald Trump, will compete for the...

You May Also Like

Leonard Cohen: His inspiring journey on the Greek island of Hydra

Living on the island of Hydra for seven years, Canadian poet and singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen is most recognised for his works written whilst on...

Oakleigh Grammar School present new Student Leadership team for 2020

A special event was held at Oakleigh Grammar School on Friday 14 February, honouring the students of the school and presenting the new student...

Jim Tsouvalas slams Adelaide City Council’s rejection of football pitch upgrades

Adelaide City Council has rejected a request by the Adelaide Comets Football Club to upgrade its home ground at Ellis Park, The Advertiser has...